Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Pathetic

Rudy Guliani is not fit to be President of the United States. I say this not because as Mayor of New York he was hated by some 80% of the citizens, not because he has no foreign policy experience, not because of his failed marriages, nor because of his views on abortion and gay rights, not because of his close relationship with the criminal Kerik, not even for the fact that he is an opportunist that had only one day of fame, or is an arrogant egomaniac. I say it because he is stupid. When he said that we would only be safe with a Republican President (and he would be the best one), and that if a Democrat were President we would have more terrorist attacks, he revealed himself as just plain stupid. If he doesn't know by now that trying to sow fear is out of fashion, and in his case simply absurd, he clearly is out of touch. The message, vote Democratic and die, is passe. That he would attempt to try this tactic again now reveals a kind of childlike mentality, something on the level of, if you don't give me a cookie I'll tell mama. As I don't believe he has even a ghost of a chance to get the Republican nomination I don't know why I even bother about this.

I just watched the Bill Moyer show, Buying the War. A wonderful show that makes it very clear (if we didn't already know) the Bush/Cheney administration lied us into an unnecessary war, the so-called fourth estate were lazy and incompetent beyond belief, and when they weren't they were mostly ignored. The most puzzling thing to me was how everyone in the media seems to have been taken in by Powell's famous report. I don't mean to boast but even I, living in a small town in north Idaho, with a primitive internet connection and a lousy newspaper, knew he was not telling the truth. I was not the only one here either, that wasn't convinced by his glib account. We had already marched against the start of the "war" and knew perfectly well it was phony (as did millions of people around the world). Actually, I don't believe the media believed it entirely either, they pretended to because by that time they had already committed themselves to the Bush/Cheney line and couldn't face having to admit they were wrong (besides, it would have taken some effort on their part to look for the truth and confront the administration). It has been a long and tragic and even bizarre story. Moyer has made it clear. I'm so pleased he is back on tv.

Things are picking up. Rice has been supoened (sp?) along with others, whats-her-face has been offered immunity, Kucinich has put forth articles of impeachment for Cheney, Gonzales has been ordered to give written answers to all the questions he claims to have no memory of (how he can do this I do not know), DeLay is getting closer to finally going to jail, the Abramhof scandal is still ongoing, Congress has still not capitulated entirely on Iraq, The Vermont House of Representatives is going to consider impeachment, and more. Exciting times. But the wheels of justice do, indeed, grind slowly. I'd like to say this is a great time to be alive - but everything considered, I'm not so sure. But chin up, stomach in, carry on, pip pip and all that.

1 comment:

Bubblehead said...

The Vermont House voted against impeachment yesterday.