Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Outrageous

I accidentally heard part of a Bush Press Conference today. I have no idea who he was speaking to or why. What I do know from my brief exposure is that he was saying things so outrageous as to leave one speechless. These were not things he hasn't said before, but the fact that he can still say them, and still go unchallenged, is to me quite unbelievable. He said, for example, Sadam was a threat to the U.S. and to the world. Utter nonsense. He said if we don't fight them there they will follow us here. Utter nonsense. He said the reason the troops won't come home as soon as they might is because of the Democrats refusing to give him the funds he wants. Utter nonsense. And of course he says we are making progress and will be victorious. Utter nonsense. I don't know what else he said but I'm sure it was all absolutely outrageous nonsense. He has been doing this for years and no one ever seems to challenge him. But how he can continue to say this utter nonsense now, under the current circumstances, and not be laughed off the podium is impossible for me to understand. What is worse, I don't know who his audience was, but I think I actually heard some applause. He must have been speaking to the deaf, dumb, and blind.

I saw somewhere today that during the recent Israeli/Lebanon battle Condi Rice actually talked Olmert into a 48 hour respite for humanitarian relief. But before the 48 hours even began Israel began bombing. Apparently Cheney's office intervened and told Olmert to ignore Rice. That Cheney, what a humanitarian. What a great guy. I bet if he ran for President he would get at least two votes.

It is pretty obvious by now there is little or no point in continuing hostilities in Iraq. We cannot "win" in any meaningful sense of that term. A political solution does not seem to be in the cards as Bush/Cheney refuse to even talk to anyone. The only purpose being served by continuing as we are is to drag this phony "war" out until Bush/Cheney can leave it for someone else and try to blame the Democrats for their complete failure. The question that comes to my mind at the moment: will our military collapse before they can run out the time? Whether it does or not it is obvious that Bush/Cheney and the neocons have effectively destroyed our fine military for several years to come. I find this quite amazing, given that our military budget has been larger than all the rest of the world combined. Where do you suppose all that money went? Don't think too deeply about it. You'll just make yourself sick.

No comments: