Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Anti-Semitic?

It has come to my attention that there are those who seem to think that because I am anti-Israeli I must also be anti-semitic. I do not believe I am anti-semitic. Where I was raised there were no Jews, or if there were one or two I was totally unaware of it. After all these many years of experience in many different cities and countries I might recognize Jews if they are obvious, like the hair, the hats, the clothes, etc. Other than that I am quite certain I would not recognize a Jew from anyone else. I am fully aware that in Israel there are many Jews who do not approve of what the Israeli government is doing. To conclude that I am anti-semitic because I don't approve of what the Israeli government has been doing all these many years is like arguing that I am anti-American because I don't approve of the Bush/Cheney administration. In other words, it is nonsensical. Apparently that does not register with those who blindly, meaninglessly, insist that whatevaer Israel and the U.S. do has to be right. The simple fact is, Israel has not been, and is not, a good neighbor in the Middle East. Since the 1967 war they have occupied territory that does not belong to them, and they have consistently not only refused to give it up, but have tried incessantly to expand even further into the territory of others. They have repeatedly been offered a deal - land for peace - and have repeatedly refused to give up their "conquered territory." They continue to occupy Syrian and Palestinian and now, Lebanese territory, and there is every reason to believe they would take over more of these lands if they could. Hamas and Hezbollah exist only as a result of Israeli aggression over their lands. Now the Israelis are demanding the U.N. do what they have proved unable to do - disarm Hezbollah and eliminate Hamas. They would also like it if the U.S. would stupidly eliminate Syria and Iran for them as well. As I have said before, I don't care if the Israeli government consists of Jews, Ethiopians, or Martians, what they have been and continue to do is just plain wrong. In the case of Palestinians it is nothing short of genocide. It is racist, indecent, colonial, and completely unjust. Accusations of anti-semitism are nothing more than a smoke screen to cover up a very unpleasant reality.

When is Donald Rumsfeld going to be put away somewhere where he can do no further harm? It has been obvious for years now that he does not inhabit the same universe as the rest of us. His recent speech in Denver, linking dissent against the Bush/Cheney administration to the appeasement of Hitler is, in my opinion, pretty clear evidence of serious mental deterioration. The fact that he apparently thinks people will believe this utter nonsense indicates even further mental problems (although I bet there were those in his audience who actually do believe him, an indication of things even more frightening).

Oh, well. Don't worry. Be happy. Bush/Cheney/Rumsfeld/Rice know best.

1 comment:

Bubblehead said...

Who was it who said these things? I bet it was a joooooo! I personally love the way you Speak TRUTH to Power about the genocidal Israelis -- after all, all true progressives know that Hamas is just kidding about saying that they really want to kick the Jews out of "every inch" of Palestine -- they're just such wacky jokers! Those darn Israelis should just trust the Hamas peacelovers. "Land for Peace", indeed. After all, you remember how the Jews had access to the Wailing Wall it belonged to Jordan between 1949 and 1967, don't you. Because we know for darn sure that the genocidal Jews aren't letting peaceful Muslims onto Temple Mount now that they control it.