Wednesday, October 08, 2008

McCain the inane

What are we to make of McCain when he is at his most inane? When he is not “my friending” us to death he goes off on his rant about “I know how to win wars,” “I know how to fix social security,” “I know how to fix the economy,” “I know how to get bin Laden,” I’ll get him,” and so on. If this is not inane, what is? It’s like he’s the little old man who no one will listen to anymore. It’s pathetic. Actually, I think you might even regard it as tragic. I mean, he’s not the man he once was, or at least the man he once pretended to be. It’s sad. His quest for the Presidency has caused him to lose whatever honor he once had. Anything to get elected, anything. When he picked Sarah Palin you knew he had thrown away his soul for his apparent obsession. Now she is actually harming his candidacy but he persists in trying to tell us how wonderful she is. He’s a little old man with only one thought on his mind – becoming President at all costs. He’s going to fail, he sees it slipping away and he is absolutely desperate. If I had ever liked him (which I didn’t), I wouldn’t like him now (which I don’t). He is, as an old James M. Cain title put it, “Past all Dishonor.”

Barring some catastrophe it appears we are going to have an Obama Presidency. If it occurs it will be one of America’s finest moments, the culmination of our belief in equality and fairness, an overcoming of the shameful racism that has characterized our country from the time of slavery to the present. Even if Obama should fail to solve all our problems it will still represent a proud moment. And of course Obama will not be able to solve all our problems. How could he, faced with our enormous national debt, two “wars,” a rotting infrastructure, a failing educational system, entitlements, corporate crime, and just about everything else that could have gone bad as a result largely because of the past eight years of Bush/Cheney. And the Brafia will do everything in their power to bring him down. Knowing this the Brafia candidates are drooling over the possibility of running against him in 2012. Indeed, I suspect the Brafia has known all along they were destined to lose this time, and that is why they allowed McCain, an old war hero, to have his shot at it. He is not a good candidate. They could have done better. They didn’t try very hard. Of course I guess it depends upon what you mean by better. Guiliani? Ugh. Romney? Mormon. Thompson? Eek. Huckabee? Just kidding. But there are many strong Brafia out there that could have run. So where were they? Why didn’t they step up to the plate? I suggest it was because they knew they had little chance under the circumstances.

Morialekafa does not have a large following. It has never been promoted in any way. It just exists, one blog among several million. Even so, it does get hits now from all around the world, at least some. An essay I wrote on sardines seems to get the most, followed by one I wrote about Being an Only Child. These must come about randomly so I find it interesting there are so many people apparently interested in sardines (or being an only child). In the early days of Morialekafa I wrote many essays, most of which have not yet been discovered. I guess there are not enough monkeys typing on enough keyboards to have stumbled across them. Ah, well, posterity.

LKBIQ:
Suppose you were an idiot and suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself.
Mark Twain

No comments: