Sunday, February 24, 2008

Nader, again

Ralph Nader, egomaniacal once-was, has decided to run again. Why? He has absolutely nothing to add. No organization, nothing new to say, no hope of winning. He says the current candidates aren’t paying enough attention to the corporate control of Washington D.C. So what is he going to do about it? He’s going to join the Brafia, that criminal organization that once was known as the Republican Party. Presumably, by joining with the Brafia he can take votes away from the Democrats. But as the Brafia candidate is the one who represents the corporate controllers, somehow this seems a strange strategy. Helping the Brafia is certainly not going to have any effect on the Corporations other than helping them. It would be great if the MSM would just ignore him. But as he is now on their side they certainly won’t do that. Remember, this is the same MSM that refused to cover Kucinich at all, and didn’t do much better with Edwards. Now they are going to lavish attention on this megalomaniac who wants once again to be a “spoiler.” I guess he has decided to be on the side of the torturers and warmongers. Great job Ralph! Welcome to Hypocrisy Incorporated. You’ll fit right in.

Well, we gathered to watch the annual collection of commercials, but some weird program called the Academy Awards kept interrupting. Apparently this is some annual event in which a bunch of adults get together to dress up and celebrate which of them are the best at make-believe. Having not seen any of the pictures, and knowing nothing about it, I watched because I had no choice. I thought some guy named Michael Clayton was going to win. Then I found out that’s the name of a movie. How embarrassing. I thought Jon Stewart did a fine monologue to start things off. I also thought the five nominated songs were excruciatingly bad. As all this happened an hour ago I’ve already forgotten who won. I fear I have completely lost my taste for movies. I noticed that some of the biggest female stars are so white they are almost transparent. I think they may not have enough blood. I also noticed that designer gowns are still in but “hair-do’s” are out. I don’t recall ever seeing so many hanging wisps of hair. The 98 year-old man in the wheelchair was pretty good. Johnny Depp is kind of funny looking, but so is John Travolta. Everyone seemed to have a good time, except maybe the losers. Oh, yeah, the ex-stripper won for best screenplay. I thought that was good. It was a script about a pregnant teen-ager (yawn). Don’t mind me, I’m just jealous.

It’s that dreadful time of year. Tax time! This is the time of year when whatever suicidal tendencies I have come to the surface. I don’t mind the basic concept of taxes. I think we ought to have schools and police and firemen, and stuff. However, I don’t think we should have nuclear bombs and a military budget so ridiculously out of control. I resent my tax dollars being spent to kill innocent people, especially women and children, all around the globe, and simply being transferred from my pockets into the pockets of the filthy rich and powerful who don’t even need them. But this is only part of the problem. I can’t do my taxes. I have no idea how to do them. It’s is far too complicated for my tiny brain to grasp. I just have to gather up whatever stuff I have, put it in an envelope, and give it to someone who presumably knows what they are doing (and charges me accordingly). I hate this! Hate it! We have a tax code that is roughly the size of the Encyclopedia Brittanica which no one truly understands completely. So every year we go through the same painful business. I have thought of just not paying my taxes. By the time they caught up with me I’d be dead. But then they’d just make my wife’s life miserable which of course wouldn’t be fair (I’m really not a bad guy, I truly think about my wife’s welfare). When I was first in Los Angeles at UCLA I had to ask some of my friends to recommend a tax man. They did. He even made office calls. I admit I was somewhat surprised when he first appeared. He was black. He had a strangely cocked eye. He also had a shirt open to the navel with several gold chains hanging around his neck and a big diamond ring. He was both a lawyer and a tax man. I knew at first sight he was the right guy for me. His opening question was: “How do you feel about paying taxes.” He was great! I truly miss him. Ah, yes, better days.


LKBIQ:
"Education: that which reveals to the wise, and conceals from the stupid, the vast limits of their knowledge."
Mark Twain

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Lew, sorry, gold chains just not my style... Steve