Monday, December 31, 2007

Think of the starving

Steals a car, tire blows, steals
another, engine fire, steals
third, police spikes.
Not his day.

When I was a little boy and refused to eat stuff I didn't like, like spinach, broccoli, egg yokes, oatmeal, and such, my mother used to say, "think of the starving Chinese," or, somewhat later, "think of the starving Armenians." It never occurred to me that more than seventy years later I would be thinking of the starving Americans. I'm sure that in the 1930's there were starving Americans, too, but I didn't know anything about them, being a child and living in a remote part of the world (Wallace, Idaho). But, then, I didn't know that America was the richest nation on earth and still tolerated starving citizens, as it continues to do to the present day. Now I know about it, and I'm not happy about it. It's disgraceful, unconscionable, despicable, unnecessary, and immoral. It's the American way, at least the American way under the control of the Brafia. What was it Bush claimed to be, oh, yeah, a compassionate conservative. Hahahahaha, I guess he put one over on us.

Well, surprise! It turns out that both John McCain and Barak Obama have ties to corporate America. Hillary's ties to corporate America are right out in the open, McCain's and Obama's have been off limits until now. One might admire Hillary for at least not being hypocritical about it. Of course anyone who believes all of the candidates do not have such ties is probably pretty naive (Edwards is supported by the lawyers, I guess technically not a corporation. Kucinich is probably the only really clean one of the bunch). I read that Edwards is "coming on" in Iowa. That seems to mean he's gained two or three percentage points. Big deal. By friday morning we should know what happens in Iowa. Thank god, at least that much will be over.

I still don't have my computer! They said it would be maybe a week. It's now been more than a week. Everyone lies these days. They take their cues from Bush/Cheney who have apparently made lying acceptable. On my wife's desk there is a book entitled Moral Politics by George Lakoff. I haven't read this book. I think Moral Politics is probably the world's most blatant oxymoron. What do I know? Lakoff is supposedly godlike when it comes to language. Will I read this book? Probably not, I do not believe politics and morality are compatible. Besides, it will be too complicated for my aging brain to contemplate. One of the things I notice about aging is that you have less and less tolerance for ambiguity. I still believe right is right and wrong is wrong. And I can tell you with the assurance of my many years that Bush/Cheney and their gang of thugs are wrong. Completely and totally wrong. Murdeously, hatefully, viciously, unconscionably, greedily, rapaciously, and unforgivingly wrong. They make me want to believe in hell, and rotting there, but unfortunately I just believe in justice and think they must be held accountable.

Although I have struggled for years with the problem, I still do not understand the existence of evil. I know that it exists. But I don't know why. Nor do I know what can be done about it (apparently nothing). There is evil and there is super-evil, this latter seems to be a characteristic of the late 20th and 21st centuries. I think super-evil probably began during the Second World War, but that is a long and complicated story.

I sincerely hope that you all will have a better 2008. So Happy New Year!!!

LKBIQ:
"All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others."
George Orwell

3 comments:

colecurtis said...

Take Hillary and Kucinich and be happy with them and if you think that that degree is going to make any difference wrong could care less. So if you came here to make a swipe at McCain ain't workin if you came to make a swipe at Obama could care less. But if you are peddling bull about McCain or Happy Feet about Hillary and Kucinich nobody's intersted.

Watch 'n Wait said...

M...Happy New Year! Perhaps this will be the year, given that Bush will be out of the country often, that things will begin to improve. We all hope so.

Bubblehead said...

Happy New Year, morialekafa. I'm sorry President Bush delayed the repairs to your computer -- he did something similar to Liberal Larry a few years back.