Wednesday, July 18, 2007

The "Reaper"

I cannot get this out of my mind, it's been enraging me the last 24 hours. The "Reaper," the aptly named most recent weapon about to be unleashed on Iraq. I don't know the precise details or description of this weapon as I have seen at least two different descriptions. But it is definitely an unmanned aircraft, fair-sized, that will carry some (anywhere from six to a dozen) missiles, as well as a couple of 500 pound bombs. I think I saw somewhere that it will fly 300 miles per hour and can be controlled and directed by a headquarters in Las Vegas (fun city), some 7000 miles away. As it will be directed at Iraq, a totally helpless target with no air force or anti-aircraft batteries to defend against a relatively slow-moving target, it is sure to be a great success. It is unlikely to be used against Iran as they have an able air force.

This is the most obscene, despicable, filthy, immoral, unethical, disgusting, cowardly, miserable, horrible, evil, vile, outrageous weapon since the atom bomb. At least someone had to fly the bombers over Hiroshima and Nagasaki. Think of it! They are going to use this nightmare weapon on helpless civilians in a country that is defenseless. What kind of ghouls would do such a thing? Who gave the order for this? What, in fact, is even the purpose of it other than killing perfectly innocent people? Is this just another chapter of "shock and awe?" Have we lost the "war" so badly all we can do now is just kill as many people as possible before we begin our less than honorable withdrawal? Talk about Dr. Strangelove, this is even more bizarre. I can only think of some military brass sitting in their hot tubs, surrounded by bikini-clad maidens, sipping their mai tais, saying, "just a minute girls, I have to send some more reapers, it'll only take a minute."

This does not make me proud to be an American. In fact, it makes me extremely ashamed.

LKBIQ:
Winston Churchill said it perfectly many years ago: "Science burrows its insulated head in the filth of slaughterous inventions."

No comments: