Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Weird ideas

Why does any state need a law that restricts gun purchases to only one gun per month? What is the point of such a law? Are there really a lot of people who want to buy more than one gun a month? Aside maybe from collectors or dealers there would seem to be very few that would be affected by such a law. And I'm pretty sure that if someone wanted to arm a group of some kind they could easily find a way around one gun a month (like, everyone in the group could buy a gun). This would seem to be an easy way around such a law but of course it wouldn't help if the aim was for everyone to have two or more guns simultaneously. Besides, there are lots of ways to buy guns these days without having to worry about the law. What if someone wanted to buy their twelve months supply of guns all at once (to get a discount, for example). Are there to be any loopholes in this law? It would seem to me that if someone bought a bunch of guns all at once that would be a nice tip-off that maybe something was in the offing. I don't know, it's all too confusing. What was the law before this law? Did it allow someone to buy as many guns as they wanted anytime they wanted to do so? Was this a real problem? Aw, to hell with it.

Spielberg has now come out endorsing Hillary. With Rupert Murdock sponsoring fund raisers for her, and Spielberg now on board, can General Motors, Exxon, Halliburton, etc. be far behind? The powers that be are going to win again. If it can't be a Republican it will be Hillary. You know, heads they win, tails we lose. It's the American way.

My wife said I should say something about ox-tails (in Melanesian pidgin they would be called ass b'long bullamacow). I guess she wanted me to mention ox-tails because she cooked them for dinner and they were absolutely superb. My wife is the best cook in all of Idaho. I'm glad I assigned her this role. I think she is just pleasing me because she wants me to buy her some shoes and a new dress. Her current flour sack is springing some holes.

LKBIQ:

"You perhaps know how it is with simple natures that fasten themselves like lichens on the stones of circumstance and weather their days to a crumbling conclusion."
Theodore Dreiser




Speaking of guns and things, here's a great idea. There is this large group of people, let's call them Sunnis, who have been shooting and bombing us for months. We want them to stop. So we offer to give them more guns and weapons if they promise not to shoot and bomb us anymore. I'm not convinced this is going to work. But I guess when things are going so bad they can't get much worse it might be worth a try. You have to give Bush/Cheney some credit here, it is an innovative idea, something that has been much lacking up to now with the usual stay the course

No comments: