Monday, June 25, 2007

Chide?

One of the first things I saw this morning on the web was a heading that said "Democrats to chide Cheney." Dick Cheney is a known war criminal and an almost pathological liar. He has recently announced that our laws do not apply to him, thus asserting dictatorial powers, and he has over the years exercised powers that are not his to exercise. His approval ratings are absolutely dismal. His penchant for secrecy is unbounded. He has proven to be wrong on virtually everything he has claimed. The Democrats are going to "chide" him? Wow! Why don't they do something really tough like slap his wrist?

It has unfortunately become crystal clear that our Democrats in Congress are unwilling to do anything serious about the almost endless scandals and crimes of the Bush/Cheney Administration. And Republicans have always picked party loyalty over the national interest. What Cheney is claiming about not being part of the Executive Branch is simply ludicrous. What he is claiming about our laws not applying to him is dangerous. Many of us have believed for years that Cheney is the true President. Events of the moment seem to bear this out. What will happen? Probably nothing, almost certainly nothing if it is left up to the laughable Democratic "opposition."

All those atheists who are supposed to have not been in foxholes are suddently emerging from them and speaking out aggressively for the first time. There are at least three major books out defending atheism and at least one Congressman has had the temerity to announce publicly that he is an atheist (a previously unheard of act). I haven't followed this carefully but one can only assume it must be a response to the obvious excesses of the ultra right-wing Christian conservatives over the past few years, aided and abetted by our apallingly ignorant born-again "Commander guy."

I always claim to be an atheist. But can I be a bonafide atheist if I believe in The Great Mystery? I have picked up this belief from American Indians which makes me, I suppose, a Pagan at the very least. Are all Pagans atheists? What is worse, being an atheist or a Pagan (I guess I am both). I don't know. It's all far too confusing for me. As I'm only 77 years old I still have a lot of learning to do. When I am desperate I sometimes pray to the Great Mystery, but he/she/it is no help. Perhaps I should go on a vision quest? Naw, the weather has been lousy and I might catch cold.

LKBIQ:

"Arrived in Venice. Streets full of water. Please advise."
Robert Benchley

1 comment:

Bubblehead said...

I've always figured that if you believe in the concept of the soul, you're not really an atheist.