Sunday, June 03, 2007

Same old, same old

I only watched part of the Democratic "debate." I'm not at all sure why they even bother with these things eighteen months before the election, or seven months before the first moved up primary. It was more or less deja vue all over again. Obama boasting that he was against the war from the beginning, Edwards confessing he thought his vote was a mistake, Hillary repeating that "if she knew then...," Kucinich pushing his usual peace movement speech that apparently no one wants to hear, and so on. They spent a lot of time on health care, basically congratulating each other over the fact that they all agreed something needs to be done, and in general also agreeing that we ought to end "war." Unless it occurred after I tuned out there was no mention of Israel (the single biggest problem in the Middle East), nor did there seem to be any concern with the newly announced 50 year plan for Iraq. They also all seemed to agree that Bill Clinton would make a great roving ambassador to try to heal the terrible wounds Bush/Cheney have inflicted on our international relations. No one mentioned Secretary of State, a position he would be eminently suited for. They seem to want him to be a kind of national gladhander but without any power or portfolio. Biden, I thought, put in an exceptional performance and defended his vote for the latest funding for the troops in a convincing manner. I don't think he got any closer to the Presidency. At the moment Hillary seems to be quite a bit ahead in the polls. She does come across as probably the best prepared and steadiest candidate. I think it would fair say she probably "won," if that makes any sense at all. Edwards tried to bring Obama and Hillary down a bit but I don't think he was very successful. Kucinich is the only one who consistently makes sense but, remember, he is only 5' 7" tall (but I bet he doesn't spend a lot of money on haircuts). Republicans and the MSM seem to be obsessed with vitally important facts such as these. They haven't fussed much lately about Hillary's hair. I think this is because she is the fallback candidate. If the powers that be can't get a Republican elected they'll settle for Hillary as basically she is one of them (at least this is my theory about what is going on.

I just read Rickles' Book (that's the title). You would think that someone who has been around as long as Don Rickles would have some really great stories. If so, he only shared the least of them. It was partly a tribute to that obnoxious bully, Frank Sinatra. I was very disappointed. Save your money.

I also read, or reread (depending on who you want to believe) Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil. Both my wife and my son insist I read this book before. It is true that I sometimes don't remember books I have read or movies I have seen, but in this case I can't believe I would not have remembered parts of it as it is so unusual and sort of outrageous. I'm pretty sure I bought it, and I'm pretty sure I recommended it to them, but I don't believe I actually read it (and I didn't see the movie either, although it won't surprise me if they claim I did). Either this has something to do with growing old or they are conspiring to drive me even more confused than I already am. In any case it's really fine book and well worth reading (or rereading, as the case may be).

No comments: