Thursday, June 02, 2005

Is it over?

I noticed this morning that Iraq disappeared from the front page of our only major newspaper. I guess this means that either the "war" there is over or at the least it is no longer of enough significance to rate front page coverage. Is that proof that Bush/Cheney are right and things are going well? Is it, as Cheney claims, "in its last throes?" Somehow I don't think so but, then, Dick the Slimy, who has been wrong about everything, without exception, said so, so it must be so. How is it that anyone can put up with this liar? In fact, most liars look honest when compared to Cheney. Indeed, it is probably an insult to liars to compare them to Cheney.

So...now we know who "Deep Throat" was/is. While I think knowing that is fine I also think that there will be no end to the question of whether or not he was/is a hero. Predictably, those who were on the Republican side think he was a villain who betrayed his party, while those on the other side think he was a hero. Why does it matter? He was a man who, for whatever motives of his own, became a whistleblower that made a significant difference in our political history, a difference for the better. Nixon, who was obviously an evil paranoid power-mad jerk had to resign, much to the benefit of the country, now looks like a saint compared to the current crop of evil jerks that are in control of our country. Our current bunch of whistleblowers, most with impeccable credentials, are simply ignored. As someone has argued, there could not be a deep throat today.

Not much is happening at the moment except no doubt behind the scenes. I can't wait until next week. I predict Bolton will not be confirmed as ambassador to the UN (I am often wrong). I think Bush has spent his capital and will have little to show for it. At last I think perhaps better days are ahead.

No comments: