Sunday, June 05, 2005

Bolton nomination

The nomination of John Bolton to be Ambassador to the United Nations is so wrong and so odious as to be almost beyond belief. It is Dick (the Slimy) Cheney who wants Bolton. He now claims Bolton will be approved. The Democrats have indicated that they may not be able to stop the nomination. If Bolton is actually confirmed and Cheney gets his way you might as well simply admit that Cheney has now attained dictatorial powers and will be able to do anything he wants. This nomination is so obviously wrong-headed, so potentially disastrous for our country, so transparently designed to cause more trouble in the United Nations and the world, that it simply should not be allowed. If the Democrats cave in to this, and the Republicans vote party rather than country, I believe our democracy will truly be lost. I would never have believed there could ever be a time when there were no honorable Representatives or Senators at all. But it appears more and more likely that is the case. John Bolton is absolutely, positively, the wrong person for this position. Everyone knows it, even the Republicans, so if it goes ahead you will know that politics takes precedence over the national interest. For Republicans it seems to be party above all. Sieg Heil! For Democrats it is just more cowardly capitulation. No, that's wrong. It is not capitulation, it is cooperation. After all, both Democrats and Republicans get their money from the same corporate war chests. The American political system is totally corrupt. Keep you eye on Bolivia because that is what we may come to here at home.

You may remember in the movie, Casablanca, there is a scene in which Claude Raines says something like "I order the wine, they give me a bill, I tear up the bill and that's that." That is not unlike my attempts to deal with our Idaho Senators, Craig and Crapo. I send them messages as to what I think they should do, they send me first an email saying they reveived my message and then a letter saying they don't care what I think. Anything I am in favor of they oppose and anything they are in favor of I am opposed. So it is a complete standoff. It has now reached the point where I no longer even open their replies as I know what they will say. In order to save the forests, at least a small part of them, I no longer even bother to send them messages about what I believe because I know they will just waste more paper and postage telling me how things are in politics. And how things are for them is whatever Bush/Cheney want. I swear they have no minds of their own, no convictions, no desire to do what might be right, no courage to opppose the administration, no visions for a better future, just the desire to maintain the corporate status quo. In short, they are as useless as the proverbial "tits on a boar."

No comments: