Monday, September 08, 2008

Church and state

Does it please you to know that Sarah Palin, McCain’s choice to be his VP, has been a member of one of the Churches of the Altogether Bonkers? Well, she has been (maybe still is). She apparently attended (attends) a church where they speak in tongues. They also believe in the Rapture. They also believe homosexuals can be converted into heterosexuals (through prayer, I guess). Palin herself (and I guess maybe her church as well) believes that God intended us to go to “war” with Iraq. She also implored her churchgoing friends to pray for her pipeline. Is this someone you would like to have as a potential President? Apparently there are substantial members of the American public who do. Unbelievable. I doubt there is any other literate country in the world that would take such a person seriously as a candidate for their highest office. This is, after all, the 21st century (at least to most of us), not still the Dark Ages.

The separation of church and state is no longer a reality in the U.S., if, indeed, it ever really was. Palin’s appeal to voters is based precisely upon her religious beliefs (I’m not at all certain she has any others). The base of the Brafia party is known to be Evangelicals, right wing religious zealots who believe in the Rapture and the more or less imminent reappearance of Christ. They don’t believe in evolution but, rather, in the biblical account of creation, a completely nonscientific and irrational belief that has no place in the 21st century. That such a believer could become the President of the United States is, to me and I’m sure many, many more, completely inconceivable. But according to the current polls apparently half the voters think this is just fine. And after all, they voted for George W. Bush, a self-proclaimed “born-again” who also doesn’t believe in evolution (or at least says his mind isn’t made up about it). Such people don’t believe in science and even denigrate it, choosing instead policies and regulations that are clearly not in our best interest and based upon their religious beliefs rather than anything else. These are dangerous people and have no business in responsible public offices.

A couple of times a week now I go to Papa Byrd’s Bistro (our best restaurant), sit at an outside table, and enjoy a Mexican beer (which I personally find far superior to most American beers). I close my eyes and pretend I’m in Paris, or Rome, or anywhere but Bonners Ferry. It doesn’t work, as when I open my eyes I realize that I’m still in the land of the unabashedly unattractive and the willfully ignorant. Of course this isn’t true of all the people in town, but it is unfortunately true of many, probably a majority. Many seem to have no interest either in their appearance or their health (poverty does not excuse this). But the willfully ignorant bother me more than the others. There are many here who do not read (they know how to read, they just don’t read). I know individuals who boast they have never read an entire book in their whole life. As a result of this they get their information, such as it is, from Rush Limbaugh (who is really big here) and others of that ilk, and they pass it on to their friends who thus remain just as ignorant as they are. They vote Republican even though it is pretty clearly not in their best interest to do so (many tend to be homophobic, racist, sexist, anti-abortion, and unthinking). So, why do I live here? Well, it is beautiful. There are many fine people. We have great food. There are no hurricanes, earthquakes, cyclones, typhoons, tidal waves, poisonous snakes, or other such things. We have a great library and a great book store. More importantly, I can afford it (at least for a while longer). I even like many of the people whose politics I abhor. Life is like that. Basically, Bonners Ferry, Idaho is a great place to live (but not quite in the 21st century).

LKBIQ:
What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans and the homeless, whether the mad destruction is wrought under the name of totalitarianism or the holy name of liberty or democracy?
Mahatma Gandhi

No comments: