Thursday, August 21, 2008

So, how many is it?

So, how many houses (or homes) do John McCain and his wife, Cindy, own? I have seen estimates of 0 (they are all owned by a corporation) to 4, to 7, to ten (or more). One could quibble, of course, over whether condos count as houses, or whether there are more than one house on the same lot, and etc., but what the hell difference does it make? The only thing that counts is that McCain has no idea how many houses or homes they have. This confession is enough, by itself, to prove that McCain is completely out of touch with us ordinary folk. And it’s no wonder he thinks the economy is sound. I wonder if he is truly aware of which place he is in at any given time. I wonder even more why it is that he never appears without Cindy, ever, as far as I know? She is like a ghostly apparition always standing by his side after delivering a little wifely kiss on the cheek. The McCain campaign panicked and immediately responded with an ad bringing up the old Rezko issue (Obama has never been shown to have been involved with any wrongdoing with him, as was made clear when Hillary Clinton tried to use this against him). The beauty of this latest Calamity John gaffe lies in the many ways it might be explained, none of which would make him look very good: (1) they are all owned by some corporation so he would not necessarily know, (2) they actually all belong to Cindy, which, again he may not know, (3) his memory is failing, (4) he is easily confused, (5) he doesn’t pay attention. With his $500 shoes, private jet, and family fortune, he is not likely to convince anyone he’s just a regular guy instead of an elitist like Obama (alas, with only one house).

What is General Petraeus doing endorsing a religious book written by a Chaplain that is against army regulations, a book that suggests atheists might screw up things during combat? His response is little more than laughable: he thought his comment was not for publication. And why, when McCain and others constantly cite Petraeus as the authority on Iraq and the Middle East, and what we ought to do in Iraq, do they think we will have forgotten that Petraeus is nothing but a Bush/Cheney toady, picked for the job after they had eliminated other high-ranking officers who disagreed with their policies?

Some Progressives are souring on Obama as they say he is moving too far towards the center or even the right. They cite his vote on FISA, his support for more military, his support for the “war” in Afghanistan, and such. I would be one of those critics, but I am allowing myself to believe he is doing this to insure his Presidency and when in office will continue his more liberal agenda. I hope I am right about this. Of course I will never support an increase in the military or sending more troops to Afghanistan which I am absolutely certain is a lost cause that will turn out to be another Vietnam. In any case, we have no other choice but Obama, as trigger-happy McCain would surely insure our destruction if he became President. After his housing gaffe, coupled with his agreeing to reinstate the draft, is anyone going to take him seriously? Why is it that so many Americans fail to see through this absolute charlatan?

Obama has made his choice but he is not telling (as yet). In fact, no one really seems to know what the choice is, which says something for the discipline of Obama and his campaign. Most everyone thinks it will be Joe Biden. If it is supposed to be a surprise I would think it would not be Biden as he has been the obvious choice of the pundits for some time. My gut still tells me it will be Hillary (but I am wrong more often than not when it comes to American politics. I have never been able to make my peace with the obvious fact that most American voters are ignorant and uninformed). I must say I am amazed at how easily we forget. A few weeks ago I was so down on Hillary I swore I would never even consider voting for her under any circumstances. Now I think she might not be so bad as VP (compared with the other possibilities). I am weak, weak as water, as Molly Sugden used to compain on Are You Being Served. After all that has happened she would certainly be a surprise (and she does meet the description Obama gave of his pick). Anyway, we’ll know soon enough. My feelings at the moment, anyone but Bayh.

LKBIQ:
The last capitalist we hang shall be the one who sold us the rope.
Karl Marx

No comments: