Friday, August 01, 2008

The Boogyman

When I was a little boy (more than 70 years ago) my mother used to threaten me with the Boogyman. You know, “if you don’t behave yourself the Boogyman will get you,” or “eat your oatmeal or the Boogyman will come and get you,” and etc. As my mother was not in the least way a mean woman I never took these threats too seriously. I sort of instinctively knew there wasn’t a Boogyman, but on the other hand, being so young, I wasn’t too sure there wasn’t. I wondered about it. I never asked my mother for a description, I just sort of wondered. I am pleased to report that after all these years, and thanks to John McCain, I know what the Boogyman looks like. He is tall, just over six feet, and he is slender. He is also relatively young, and has a disarming smile and most everyone likes him. He also has sort of prominent ears. His most distinguishing feature, however, is that he is black. Or at least part black. As there were no black people where I lived as a child I hadn’t even conceived of the Boogyman as being black. Now, not only do I know what the Boogyman looks like, I also know what he is threatening to do to us. He is going to raise taxes on everyone. He is going to surrender to all our enemies, immediately. He is going to try to keep the price of gasoline as high as possible by not allowing us to drill wherever the oil companies want to drill. As he is a secret Muslim, we are all going to have to pray several times daily and wear robes. I am not certain about the claim he is going to eat all of our first-born children, but as we don’t know him very well that is a distinct possibility. He also has poor judgment as he thought going to “war” with Iraq was not a good idea, nor did he support the “surge” that has now allowed us to achieve “victory” in Iraq. He does not like our troops, is very conceited and arrogant, and thinks only of himself. Of course no one knew he was black until he called it to our attention himself.

The feigned innocence of John McCain is making me sick. He wants us to believe that his decision to campaign by focusing primarily on Obama, and trying to force him off message and basically ridicule him, had only to do with the fact that he was young, inexperienced, and perhaps had bad judgment. I’m sure he was really surprised when he found out Obama was black. “Gosh, I didn’t know he was black.” I suppose he also didn’t know that by emphasizing Obama the person as black that might work to his advantage in the coming election. This is not only disingenuous, it is downright disgusting. Calamity John has now identified himself with the worst elements in the Rove school of character assassination and dirty tricks. He and his racist followers sit and piously announce they didn’t introduce race into the campaign, Obama did it. His most recent negative ad not only mocks Obama, it also mocks religion. I wonder how much this strategy may backfire. He may win some racist votes here and there, but he is likely to lose some independent votes and even some votes from his own party for these gutter tactics. Obama is everything Calamity John is not: he’s young, personable, popular, charismatic, inspirational, a wonderful speaker, a good husband and father, and has good judgment. McCain, following the rovian strategy is trying to turn these fine assets into negatives. In doing so he is revealing himself to be petty, angry, jealous, and unscrupulous. To try to win the Presidency he has sold his previous good name and even his soul to the oil companies and the Bush mafia. The more he carries on in his holier-than-thou narrative of how he would never use race in the campaign, the more he exposes his miserable and dishonest hypocrisy. Obama at least claims to be interested in the citizens of our country and the well-being of the nation. McCain is interested only in power and the status quo, where the corporations rule and the rich get richer by the day. McCain has no hope of winning unless he can destroy Obama, using the worst of rovian smears and lies. It seems to me that in the past rival candidates at least had a modicum of respect for each other, and when the election was over they would still do their best for the country. Not this Brafia bunch, they will not only try to destroy Obama and keep him from winning, but if he does win they will continue to destroy him and his Presidency (just as they did Clinton). They have no interest in the well-being of the nation, only in power and what it will bring them. They have become no more than a cancerous growth on our nation and should be permanently removed as soon as possible.

LKBIQ:
A conservative government is an organized hypocrisy.
Benjamin Disraeli

No comments: