Tuesday, August 19, 2008

How nonsensical

A consensus seems to be building that Obama’s pick for VP will be Joe Biden. They seem to think that the Russian/Georgian “crisis” means it will be terribly important for Obama to pick someone experienced in Foreign Affairs. I cannot dispute that this is what most of the pundits seem to believe, but personally I think it is nonsensical. Obama is said to have over 400 advisors (already). Is Joe Biden to be put in charge single-handedly to handle Foreign Affairs? Is it the case that if Joe Biden, good Democrat that he is, would not advise Obama on Foreign Policy unless he was VP? Does this make any sense? I don’t think so. It may be the case that Obama will pick Biden, and it may also be the case that it will be explained that he did so because of his own inexperience with Foreign Policy, but I think this is all nonsense. But whoever said recently that American politics was anything but nonsensical?

I don’t know who Obama is going to pick. But my mind tells me that I am losing it because my gut keeps insisting he is going to pick Hillary Clinton. Whey do I think this? Frankly, I don’t know, but my gut is very insistent. He and Hillary seem to be thick as thieves lately. She would be a great pick for the Democratic party, given the number of women that threaten to vote for McCain (no one ever said women were smarter than men when it comes to full-blown irrationality). She could be put in charge of universal health care where she has had considerable experience. She is fully qualified and could easily step into the Presidency should that unpleasant occasion arise. If Obama picks her, and she agrees to be on the ticket, it would remove the problem of her previous doubts about Obama and take away from the Brafia their attempt to use her comments against Obama. I am not suggesting that I want this to happen, merely that my gut keeps telling me that it might well happen. It would certainly be an exciting surprise and would galvanize the Democrats like nothing else. Indeed, it would earth-shaking to have a black candidate and a woman on the same ticket. As near as I can tell there are only two or three real negatives to this scenario. Bill Clinton is one, but as Hillary and Obama have been so chummy lately they may have already solved this problem somehow. Another obvious negative is the fact that every redneck Hillary-hater in the country would come out of the mountains to vote against her. It would probably do nothing to change the minds of those 17 or more percent of voters who say they would not vote for a black man. These voters are probably not too likely to vote for Obama anyway and would certainly not change their minds because Hillary was on the ticket. Anyway, it’s Obama’s pick. I don’t think he needs Biden, I think Evan Bayh is little more than an empty suit, and I don’t know much about Kain. Hillary is a more logical choice than any of them, so my gut tells me while my mind repeats, no, no, no. I just can’t wait to have this inner turmoil solved.

I do not know that Barack Obama will be a fine President or not. I do know that John McCain would be terrible beyond belief, unless you are all for permanent war, more subsidies for the oil companies, back-alley abortions, and more money for the already filthy rich.

Just when you think you might have heard the last of him that pompous pontificating pretend professor, Newt Gingrich, surfaces with another ridiculous statement. This time it’s his claim that inflating your tires only makes money for the oil companies. The smaller the brain, the bigger the mouth, or so it seems.

LKBIQ:
The most common of all follies is to believe passionately in the palpably not true. It is the chief occupation of mankind.
H. L. Mencken

No comments: