Tuesday, January 08, 2008

Amusing, at least

What a shock! Hillary Clinton, against all polls and expectations, wins the New Hampshire primary. It was both interesting and amusing to watch as everyone on TV, and the candidates themselves, continued to speak of how it was Obama would win, perhaps even by double digits. Not one person even contemplated a Clinton victory, not a single one. This in spite of the fact that she was from 2 to 4 percentage points ahead during the entire time. All of the pundits were wrong. All of the polls were wrong. So what happened?

Some think the voters of New Hampshire just didn't want it to be over so soon so they voted for Hillary to continue the contest. Maybe. Some think it turned around when Hillary cried and expressed her passionate feeling about what she was doing. Some think it was because of the overwhelming support by women of Hillary, unlike what happened in Iowa (which obviously had much to do with it). Some think that voters realized they didn't really know enough about Obama. Still others think it was because she started taking questions from her audiences instead of just making speeches. Of course the analysis has barely begun. In any case it was a remarkable and unexpected comeback.

I personally believe that this remarkable turnaround began during the last debate when the moderator told her that people liked Obama better than her. She replied immediately, "that hurts my feelings." I found that to be a genuinely touching moment and made me change my feelings about her. This is not to say I prefer her as the candidate but I certainly have a great deal of respect for her, and I think I know her better than I did before.

So the quest continues and there is a very long way to go. Nothing will be settled until February 5th. There is little doubt that the American public is fed up with the Bush/Cheney Brafia and overwhelmingly demand change.

LKBIQ:
"The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep."
Robert Frost

No comments: