Wednesday, January 09, 2008

10,000+

Husband takes ipod away from son,
wife hits him in the face,
is arrested for assault.

Can you believe that a President of the United States is so hated and despised that he has to have a security guard of more than ten thousand to visit a small country that is supposed to be one of our closest allies? This is apparently what is involved in Bush's useless trip to Israel. Bush can confer with Olmert all he wants, and then to go on to hold hands in Saudi Arabia, but nothing of substance can possibly come from this trip. Bush is a lame duck President like no other before him. He has no credibility and is in no position to make any serious commitments. The whole world is just waiting for him to go. If he had even a shred of decency he would have gone a long time ago and taken Dick the Slimy with him.

We had the pleasure of a visit from Walt Minnick today. As you know, he is one of three Democratic candidates running for the Congressional seat now held by the completely useless Bill Sali. I liked him. He seems like a truly nice guy. And he seems to be on the right side of most of the issues that concern me. I will be very happy to support him should he win the nomination. However, there were a couple of things that bothered me a bit. First, when he was asked why he was a better candidate than Larry Grant he replied simply, "because I'll win." This implies to me that he believes Larry Grant can't win. I don't believe that. I assume he thinks that he will have the money and support to win whereas Larry Grant will not. I think if Larry Grant had the support of the Democratic party he would win. And I also believe he deserves to win as he has worked for it. I don't believe the accusation that he ran a lackadaisical campaign (he certainly didn't here in Bonners Ferry where he knocked on doors, walked in parades, met with citizens, answered questions, and so on). Minnick also allowed as to having been recruited to run. Who do you think recruited him? The main thing I didn't like very well was the fact that he seems to accept what I think is the French "cryogenic theory of nuclear waste." That is, you stockpile it somewhere safe because you might someday be able to use it. He explained that he knows the problem with nuclear energy is the waste, and he also admits that the nuclear waste in Southern Idaho is eventually going to leak into the water, but he still won't take nuclear off the table because we might need it for a while (at least). I am not only totally opposed to nuclear power plants I believe that anyone who is not, must be unconcerned with life on planet earth. Nuclear waste kills - indiscriminately. And it doesn't go away. It is said that the French re-use nuclear rods until they can't be used anymoe (but are still dangerous) and then safely stockpile them. Perhaps they do. But I have also read that they send nuclear waste to Russia (can't hurt anyone there?). Other than this I was impressed with Minnick and I have no doubt he will be a good candidate and, if elected, a good Congressman. But as for me I will stick with Larry Grant who is an outstanding candidate (whose biggest sin, I guess, is that he's not from Boise and doesn't have as much money).

There are those (on the far right, of course) who think that Hillary Clinton just turned on her tears on purpose (she is a consummate actress?), and still others (also on the far right) who say if you cry you are not fit for public office (like Romney, for example). What a crock, these people hate Hillary with such irrationality they can't, or won't, even give her credit for being human. I don't want her to be the candidate but I find myself now often defending her. I suspect this must have had something to do with the unexpected results from New Hampshire. So keep knocking her, her candidacy thrives on it.

LKBIQ:
"The unleashed power of the atom has changed everything save our modes of thinking, and we thus drift toward unparalleled catastrophes."
Albert Einstein

No comments: