Friday, July 07, 2006

Is it legal or not?

In August of this year morialekafa will have appeared almost daily for two years. Until now no one ever asked what, if anything, morialekafa means. I have always found that strange. But no big deal. As I had spent some time in the New Guinea Highlands, when I wanted to start a blog I thought I would use a word from Pidgin English. Much to my utter amazement virtually every Pidgin word I tried was already being used one place or another. So I finally settled on morialekafa, a word in one of the New Guinea Highlands languages. I was trying for a time to learn the names of various insects. Most of them had distinctive names. But when I would point to some small bug sometimes it would be called morialekafa. Soon there were a number of small bugs all called morialekafa. I eventually concluded that it must mean "small, insignificant bug with no other name." Perfect for this blog, no?

Lt. Watada, the first officer to refuse service in Iraq, has now been charged (I do not know exactly what the charges are). What I am waiting to see is if he is going to be "railroaded" into the brig without a trial. I believe it is true that as part of his military training he was instructed not to obey an illegal order. I also believe the Iraq "war" is demonstrably illegal. If both of these things are true how can he possibly be found guilty of anything other than doing the proper thing. But who will decide whether the "war" is illegal. The entire world knows it is, but will anyone in the U.S. admit to it? Even the Bush/Cheney administration knows it is illegal, hence their longstanding attempts to get American troops exempt from prosecution for war crimes, not only in Iraq, but around the world. Yes, it's true, the Bush/Cheney war machine wants carte blanche to commit war crimes. Does that make you proud to be an American? This is why they are so frightened of a Democratic controlled Senate or House - they might well be found guilty (indeed, if they are not it will be very strange).

Israel continues its horrific reign of terror against defenseless Palestinians. And the entire world just stands around watching and doing nothing. This is absolutely outrageous. And it is positively inexcusable. Every country on earth should shun Israel, refuse to deal with them, identify them for the pariah nation they are. The United States should refuse to support them with even one more dollar. Don't expect any action from Bush. He likes killing and bloodshed too well.

1 comment:

Watch 'n Wait said...

M...There are many ways your blog could be found. Someone, somewhere, googles a question or a name or whatever, and Google comes up with it's list...upon which many blogs who have mentioned that topic or name is there. Also there's a site named Technorati..one can go there, type in a search term and millions of blogs are immediately searched where that term is used. And yes, "Next Blog" on Blogger blogs can be clicked and away you go on an endless series of blogs. Which is the way I found you! Ain't technology grand? :))