Sunday, January 18, 2009

Stymied

Please be advised that my journey to the west, and part 8 that should have appeared today, will be delayed for a time. My regular computer refuses to work at all so nothing on it can be accessed. I have no idea at the moment how long it will be inoperative. I guess it needs to be degrungified, or worse. Enjoy the inauguration. Long live Barack Obama!!

There's no nut like a gun nut. According to the Spokesman Review, gun sales in the Northwest have substantially increased since Obama was elected. Much of this is probably due to gun dealers who encourage rumors that Obama will take our guns away. I don't believe this, nor do I believe any substantial changes will occur vis-a-vis gun ownership. I cannot help but wonder how many of these people buying guns already own guns. Taking guns away from the millions upon millions upon millions of gun owners in the U.S., in addition to being totally impractical, would be more difficult than taking away their first-born children. Remember Morialekafa's mantra - Do not panic! We have our first black and white President. The world is not coming to an end. I'm certain Obama has much more important things on his mind than taking away our small arms. If you were not fearful of Bush/Cheney, who clearly did not have your best interests in mind, I don't believe you should fear Obama, who apparently does. This increase in gun sales was claimed previously but apparently turned out to be false. Are sales up dramatically all over the U.S., or primarily only in the Northwest? Precisely, who is it that are buying these guns? I am suspicious of these claims. Remember, there are lies, damn lies, and statistics. There are also unsubstantiated rumors. Personally, I don't care how many rifles and pistols are being sold, there are so many already I can't imagine it will make much difference.

No comments: