Saturday, July 05, 2008

Melange a trois

Pet dachshund chews off
diabetic master’s big toe.
She has him euthanized.

Melange a trois. No, I didn’t misspell it. It’s what is going on in my garden. Like many such arrangements it is complicated and somewhat chaotic. I guess I made a bad mistake. I planted corn, pole beans, and squash all together, as they have done for hundreds of years in Central America. I thought the climbing beans would be supported by the corn, and the squash would help to prevent weeds from growing. I must have planted the wrong kind of beans (some fancy Italian beans my wife ordered) as they are growing at a much faster pace than the corn. The squash is growing even faster than the beans. Thus, as in many eternal triangles, the squash tendrils are pulling the corn in one direction, while the bean runners are pulling in a different direction. Not only that, the bean tendrils are latching on to the squash leaves as well as onto the corn. Thus I have a mélange of woven plants that are tied together in such a way as to become almost impenetrable and make any form of weeding impossible (if, indeed, any weeds can grow there). I have no idea how this is going to turn out. I think I may be picking beans off the squash plants and squash off the corn, if, that is, the corn doesn’t succumb to too much pressure and refuse to cooperate entirely.

To make matters worse, I am becoming more and more convinced that my little elegant cat, Katie, is carrying on some kind of relationship with a skunk. I have learned that this sometimes happens with skunks and cats. I know the skunk is here, as the little holes he leaves give him away. And Katie is staying out later and later at night (skunks are mostly nocturnal) and coming home early in the morning utterly exhausted. It’s all she can do to make it to her favorite spot on the couch where she then seems to completely pass out. I don’t usually monitor her friends, and she is, of course, being a cat, very independent. But what are we going to do when she tries to bring her friend home to dinner? I don’t really mind skunks (in their place), but I wouldn’t want my Katie to…

I guess Obama and McCain are still campaigning. The truth is, I’ve pretty much lost interest and have cut down on my TV news time considerably. It’s not that I don’t think it’s important. I regard this coming election as probably the most important during my lifetime. But because the Brafia have nothing to run on, no accomplishments whatsoever, all they can do is keep roviating Obama and spreading ridiculous lies and rumors about him. As the only other possibility for President at the moment is McCain, I can’t see the point of worrying too much about it. If Obama does not win in a landslide I will be most surprised. Having bankrupted our country, virtually destroyed our military, neglected everything here at home, including the economy, what on earth can the Brafia expect? To elect an old guy who is promising more of the same? I can’t even believe McCain is doing this, it makes no sense at all. I can’t imagine anything they could turn up about Obama that would make me vote for McCain, literally nothing. If Obama, who I think has at least the possibility of becoming a truly great President, doesn’t turn out so well, I can assure you I will still have no regrets whatsoever in favoring him over this impossible Brafia offering. I’m tired of the killing and the unnecessary “war,” and I want no more of it. I want to see us go back to the time when it didn’t really matter much which candidate was elected as you could depend on them to perform in much the same way and you didn’t have to worry that they would potentially destroy the world as we know it. There is just no way our country can survive another four years of the Bush/Cheney disaster. Obama is our great white hope (remember, he’s just as white as he is black, not that it should make any difference). Please repeat after me: Obama is not a Muslim. Obama is not a Marxist. Obama does not want to do away with white people.

LKBIQ:
“Change has a considerable psychological impact on the human mind. To the fearful it is threatening because it means that things may get worse. To the hopeful it is encouraging because things may get better. To the confident it is inspiring because the challenge exists to make things better.
King Whitney Jr.

No comments: