Wednesday, August 08, 2007

What to make of Hillary

I said quite a long time ago that Hillary would be the Democratic candidate for President, that it was already a done deal as the Corporate powers have decided a Republican can't get elected in 2008 and Hillary, being Republican lite (at least) would be their best bet. It appears to me at the moment that is what is happening. Murdoch throwing fundraisers for her, Fortune magazine featuring her on the cover as the Corporate candidate, and so on. She did nothing to dispell this view of her by announcing the other day that she would continue to take money from the lobbys (even though she was roundly criticized for this by both Edwards and Obama). She defended herself by arguing that many lobbys represented real people (nurses, social workers, etc.). She also claims that if you look at her record for the last 35 years there is no indication that she bent to the influence of Drug companies, etc. I don't know how true this is but there has to be some truth to it. As we all know opinions about Hillary are very far apart. Just today I saw one Veteran praising her knowledge of the military and singing her virtues. A second one, who apparently worked for Bill Clinton for a couple of years, and who claims to know Hillary well, accuses her of being a pathological liar and a Dove in Hawk's clothing.

I don't know what to think. I was a great fan of Hillary's when Bill Clinton was President and she was trying to work on universal health care. I thought she handled his impeachment with dignity and common sense. Then when I learned she had served on the Board of WalMart I began to lose respect. Bill Clinton and his administration were certainly not very liberal in their doings and brought us NAFTA, among other things (welfare reform, etc.). So what to make of Hillary? She is currently leading the other Democratic candidates by a large margin. She has so far made no significant mistakes. She comes across as exceptionally knowledgeable, well-prepared, and does not get flustered under pressure. On the basis of her performances so far I believe she has shown she is in fact the superior candidate. I have said all along that I do not want her to be the candidate. However, the other candidates, in my judgment, don't match up. Obama comes the closest But he is really no match for Hillary's experience and knowledge of other world leaders. I keep hoping that Gore will enter later this year. If he does I believe he would win the Presidency easily (he certainly should anyway). But if Hillary continues to be so successful I doubt that Gore would enter (of course he might no enter in any case). Probably the single most important argument against Hillary is that she is a polarizing figure (no doubt about that) and that she cannot win the general election. But think about it. If faced with the choice of Hillary or Guiliani, or Hillary and Romney or McCain, or Thompson, who will you vote for. The same thing holds true for the argument that a woman can't be elected. You might argue that this will come down to a Hobson's choice. I don't think so.

LKBIQ:
"Come seven, come eleven! Baby needs a new pair of shoes."
Anonymous crapshooter

No comments: