Wednesday, August 01, 2007

More of the same

Surely no one can be surprised that Bush is claiming Executive Priviledge for Turd Blossom. There is no way Bush could let Rove testify under oath, Rove, of all people, who knows where all the bodies are buried, all the skeletons are hidden, all the secrets they can't allow anyone to learn about. I am constantly surprised that Congress persists in trying to pry information out of the White House. Just IMPEACH the crooks and have done with it! There isn't even any doubt that Bush/Cheney are eminently impeachable. More importantly, there isn't any doubt they are guilty of terrible war crimes. No one seems to want to even mention this. Somehow it is unmentionable, along with any criticism of Israel, both facts leading us inevitably to more and more disaster. At the moment it looks like they won't even be successful at impeaching Gonzales the Incompetent.

Today I received in the mail my third wall calendar for 2008. I will no doubt receive two or three more before the end of the year. I also now have somewhere in the vicinity of twenty thousand or so return address labels, enough to last me for several lifetimes were I to actually use them. I don't want these things. I didn't ask for them. My mistake, apparently, was donating money to various causes in the first place. What is really irritating about this is that these things are not really gifts. You are expected to make a donation. Sure, you don't have to make a donation but if you don't you of course look like an ungrateful lout. What is even more galling is when they enclose a questionnaire for you to fill out. This is to make you feel important, as if your opinion somehow really matters. The questionnaire consists of five or six questions, your answer to which are already known to them or you wouldn't be on their mailing list. I regard this as pretty sneaky. Then there is the ploy of sending you a stamped return envelope so if you don't return it (preferably with your donation) you feel guilty about wasting a stamp. They try everything. I guess you're really better off not donating money to anyone in the first place. But then you have to live with the reality of being a truly cheap shmuck. I'd like to donate money to most of these causes but as there are by now so many of them it is totally out of the question. And how do you choose? Are the whales more important than the Polar Bears? Are the salmon more important than shipping more potatoes? Are Indian schools more important than Black colleges? Are Firemen more important than Police? I could go on but you get the picture. I don't like to have to worry or feel guilty about this stuff, but I do. I wish they would stop sending me things. I'm thinking of trying to make a deal with some of them; if they promise not to send me things or put on fundraisers I'll donate money. How's that for fair?

Another thing I sometimes worry about is tipping. I suspect that most waiters and waitresses don't report all their tips on their income tax. So if I tip them am I not part of a criminal conspiracy of some kind (not to worry, I do tip, I just wonder about it).

LKBIQ:
"I believe the Heavenly Father invented man because he was disappointed in the monkey."
Mark Twain

No comments: