Sunday, February 06, 2005

Help!

We won’t know until next week what the final vote count will be in Iraq but it looks like the Shiites and Sistani are going to win. This probably means ultimately a Muslim constitution making certain to keep those uppity Iraqi women in their place. As women, under Sadam Hussein’s reign, had at least some rights this will not be a step forward but, rather, a big step backward. Iraq will resemble Iran and Saudi Arabia rather than a democracy. And, as Rumsfeld has indicated there is no predicting when the Iraqis will be prepared to take over their own security, you can bet we’ll be there for a long time. Did anyone seriously believe otherwise?

I am sad to report that my opinion of Bill Clinton just keeps going further and further downhill. I liked Clinton. I though he was a good President. Things went fairly well there for a while. We had a surplus. There was widespread employment. The Stock Market did well. Things were good. But now, with the elapse of time, it has become obvious that Clinton was basically just another Republican-lite. Ditto for Senator Clinton. I could never support her for President or even Vice President. Nowadays I don’t like the company they keep.

By the way, whatever happened to James Carville? We certainly don’t hear much from him these days. CNN is supposedly hiring that bow-tie-wearing nincompoop Tucker Carlson for his own show. I guess they’ve decided to come all the way out of the closet instead of pretending to be giving both sides of the issues. What conceivable talent Carlson has escapes me.

Well, another Super Bowl has come and gone. Alas, the Eagles lost. But they didn’t disgrace themselves. The ads, I thought, were not much this year. Perhaps by next year they will only be for churches, abstinence, school vouchers, and where to invest your retirement money. If there is a next year. I hate to say it, but contrary to Bush/Cheney, things are not going well. Is this just “the lull before the storm?” How long can we continue down this path to destruction? Can anyone give me a positive outlook for the future? Help!

No comments: