Saturday, February 07, 2009

Another day

Burgan, the prize goat above all, did not
attend the first goat beauty pageant
In Saudi Arabia due to fear of the evil eye.

Being quite elderly, and having virtually no hair, I have not been involved with hair conditioners. Today, because I was waiting for a friend in our local Supermarket, I chanced to be standing next to several rows of such stuff. It was quite a revelation. First, I had no idea there were so many different hair conditioners. Second, I have no idea, really, just what a hair conditioner is or does, and third, the names of these various products I found amusing, to say the least. Some of the names seemed to have a least some connection to hair. Curl Around, for example, and Frizz control or None of your Frizziness I think would be in that category. But most of the names did not seem to me to have any particular connection with hair. Breaks Over, for example. Body Envy, too. Hello Hydration I guess had some meaning although it escaped me. Color Me Happy I thought was pleasant. Totally Twisted and Dangerously Straight were at least sort of descriptive. Long Term Relationship didn’t ring any bells for me, at least when it comes to hair. Big Sexy Hair I thought was pretty straightforward and descriptive, at least in a kind of wish fulfilling sense. Bed Head did not make me think of hair. I think there was one called Invusiver, but that one, too, did not make me necessarily think of hair. Intense Damage made me feel kind of sorry for someone. But the one that I found the most appealing of all, and seemed to sum up the situation with hair conditioners very well, and was the obvious solution to Intense Damage was called Degunkify. I had thought that perhaps with Degunkify I had finally found a word that would not show up on Google, but as always, I lost. I have tried and tried to find a word that would not be on Google. So far it is Google 125 and Morialekafa 0. I still have hope.

I confess to being unutterably bored today trying to follow the stimulus standoff. It’s just the same stuff over and over, Republican lies, Democratic explanations that always fall on deaf ears, completely ridiculous and petty claims by Republicans and so on. What I find the most offensive, however, is when Republicans start preaching about overspending and Democratic tax and spend policies. These are the same creeps that threw money around like confetti in Iraq, cannot account for billions and billions spent in the last eight years, created the largest National Debt in history, even when starting with a large budget surplus, and have driven our country to the brink of ruin. Somehow they still believe we should take them seriously. I am really irritated with Obama for excessively trying to reach out to them when there is no chance they will ever cooperate.

Today I did something I have resisted doing for many years. I went to a horn and gun show. These shows are quite popular “in this neck of the woods,” and happen with some frequency in the small towns that make up North Idaho. I have little to report about the content of this event, mostly guns, knives, ammunition, holsters, and, of course, horns. Elk horns, deer horns, moose horns and perhaps others that are carefully studied, measured, and admired by those who are not interested merely in guns. There was about every kind of gun one could imagine: rifles, shotguns, handguns, automatic weapons of various kinds, antique guns, new guns, old guns, cheap guns, expensive guns, even guns with pink trappings or pearl or ivory handles. It was quite a show. In fact, I can say with no fear of contradiction that it was the largest crowd I have ever seen at our Fairgrounds, far surpassing even the crowds at the annual fair. There was nowhere to park, the building and exhibits were so crowded you could barely move around, and all in all it must represent the biggest event of the year. Interestingly enough, I saw many people there I would never have believed would attend a horn and gun show. I am not certain about this, but I believe you can buy guns there without any waiting period or paperwork. It was truly incredible.

LKBIQ:
The National Rifle Association says, 'Guns don't kill people. People do'. But I think the gun helps.
Eddie Izzard

TILT:
There are over 300 distinct breeds of goats.

No comments: