Wednesday, December 03, 2008

Smorgasbord

Engraved class ring, missing
for 21 years, turns up in belly of
eight pound Texas Bass.

Well, I guess it’s to be farewell to the pig farm (I mean the “ranch”) Bush bought to deceive people into believing he was a down-to-earth cowboy rather than a wealthy, Ivy-league Northeastern snob. It seems to have worked. Bush bought what I understand had been a 2000 acre pig farm, and pretended to convert it into a ranch. There were no cattle, no horses, and I guess no livestock of any kind. But he went regularly to his beloved ranch in Crawford to exercise his apparent passion for cutting brush and photo-ops. But now that the charade is over, Laura is looking for a house in Dallas, claiming that the Crawford place was all Bush’s. It apparently was all Bush’s because it was convenient for his image. I doubt he will miss cutting brush, but I bet he will miss the photo-ops.

Would someone explain to me what is so precious about cluster bombs that the U.S., Russia, and China refuse to give them up? Some 100 nations signed an agreement to eliminate such weapons and help clean up areas already contaminated with them. With all the weapons in their arsenals, why do some cling to these bombs that are known to kill and maim innocent children on a regular basis and long into the future. To me, this seems too absurd for words, indeed, even downright ghoulish. Are we expecting to counter Russian and Chinese cluster bombs with ours? This is disgraceful.

There is a new report, just issued, that claims we are vulnerable to attack by either nuclear or biological weapons sometime in the future. We are said to be more vulnerable now than we were previously. I don’t know how much money was spent on this report, or who precisely was responsible for it, but I could have told them this for free quite some time ago. I guess they believe that worrying about being run over or otherwise killed by an automobile, or being killed by lightning, or blown up in an airplane, or being poisoned by bad food, or contracting lung cancer from cigarettes or having a heart attack from high cholesterol or obesity, or falling victim to rogue elephants, or being preyed upon by cougars and grizzly bears, to say nothing of vicious wolves, is not enough for us to worry about. Although I have no confidence whatsoever in Homeland Security, I refuse to worry about being nuked or gassed. I’m too busy worrying about where my next meal might not be coming from, or what my next medical bill is apt to be, or other more mundane and realistic fears.

A judge in Kansas has ruled that the execution of a man convicted of multiple murders in 1988 has to be postponed because “he needs more time” to appeal. I do not believe in capital punishment, and I don’t think this guy should have been sentenced to death, but really? Twenty years is not a sufficient time for him to appeal? This just emphasizes how ridiculous the whole system is. If keeping someone on death row for 20 years is not cruel and unusual punishment, what is? Oh, I guess keeping people in Guantanamo for seven years with no charges against them at all, no provision for lawyers, no contact with the outside, no rights at all, including habeas corpus, and so on, probably qualifies. But who would do a thing like that?

In keeping with the usual absurdity of the MSM we are now being told that Bill Clinton is “eyeing a position in the Obama White House,” or “angling for a position in the Obama administration,” giving the impression that he is trying to insert himself into this coming administration. I saw the interview from where this idea came: when asked what he was going to do, Bill Clinton said clearly he would give some advice to Hillary sometimes. When asked again what he planned to do in the future, he said he didn’t know, but that if Obama asked him to perform some task he would do so. Now the MSM has converted these simple straightforward, modest statements into his attempting to sneakily worm himself into a position. I think the MSM should hire a fleet of white Broncos, and a bunch of drivers, and have them chase the Broncos 24 hours a day to insure they would be able to cover some “news” every moment of the 24/7 blatherathon.

How I hope Chris Matthews will try to run for the Senate against Arlen Spector! He is such a dim bulb he will surely lose, but we won’t have to listen to him trying to pontificate on MSNBC anymore. I can just hear him every day crying out “Gee, this is so exciting.” And he’ll probably be able to speak non-stop for hours on end without even pretending to ask someone else a question.

LKBIQ:
Egotism is the anesthetic that dulls the pain of stupidity.
Frank Leahy
TILT:
I apparently can think of nothing that I cannot find on google.

No comments: