Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Cheney's confession

Woman kidnaps demented
old man, marries him, takes
him directly to his bank.

Dick the Slimy, in an interview with ABC, admits to his role in waterboarding (torture), and says Guantanamo should stay open until the end of terrorism (in other words, forever). Put more generally, he has admitted publicly that he is guilty of a war crime. Is he just daring someone to hold him accountable? Will anyone?

I thought Obama’s pick for Education Secretary sounded pretty good. But Greg Palast doesn’t think so and I have great respect for him. Similarly, I’m not too crazy about Vilsack for Secretary of Agriculture. In fact I’m beginning to have some doubts about the entire cabinet. It’s true there are all pretty much heavyweights, and it’s also true there is a lot of diversity, which could be a good thing, but it occurs to me it could potentially be a bad thing. I am also beginning to have doubts about Obama’s Israeli policy (if, indeed, he has one aside from just placating Israel constantly, a la Bush). This idea of offering a nuclear shield to Israel (and even others in Clinton’s version) I find most upsetting and in my opinion an absolutely terrible idea. Furthermore, I do not like the continued paranoia with respect to Iran. They keep insisting Iran is a threat to take over the Middle East. I don’t know what that means. Does it mean simply gaining influence in Iraq? Or do they think Iran is going to move on Egypt, Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, and etc., which seems to me far fetched. Anyway, I should think Iran has more legitimate interests in the Middle East than we do from 8000 miles away. If Benjamin Netanyahu becomes the next Prime Minister of Israel, watch out.

I have received Christmas cards from two of my oldest friends. When we were children we lived within about 100 yards of each other and played together almost every day. We are all still around and doing reasonably well, while most of our peers are gone. I have no explanation for this good fortune, just as I have no explanation for why I was born where and when I was, why I was born a Nordic, why I never had to go hungry, or fight in a war, or eat sheep’s eyeballs or hagis. Life, for me, has always been, and continues to be, a great mystery.

There will be no blog tomorrow night as I am having my second eye surgery. Hopefully, I will be able to see, perhaps not like an eagle, but maybe like a normal person.

LKBIQ:
In Paris they simply stared when I spoke to them in French; I never did succeed in making those idiots understand their language.
Mark Twain


TILT:
George W. Bush is apparently immune to insults no matter where they come from.

1 comment:

Bubblehead said...

Best wishes for a successful surgery, M.