Thursday, June 26, 2008

Guns

Man fails to prove his gun
was unloaded by shooting
himself in the face.
.

Supreme Court makes an unprecedented interpretation of the 2nd amendment and decides 5 – 4 that the right to own guns does not apply merely to militias but also to individuals, and therefore the Washington D.C. ban on handguns is unconstitutional. Justice Antonin Scalia indicates that he knows exactly what was really in the minds of the founding fathers. Many will argue this was a terrible decision, and I suspect it is, but terrible decisions are routine for this Brafia court. Personally, I am not particularly bothered by this even though I think it was wrong, because it does seem to me it would be totally impractical to decide otherwise. That is, there are an estimated 222 million firearms in the U.S., 76 million of which are handguns. Thus no ban on handguns could ever be enforced so it seems to me rather moot. I believe, however, that they left enough room so that local governments can regulate the sale and ownership of handguns at least in certain ways (like keeping them out of the hands of the insane, etc.). Oh well, win a few, lose a few. Maybe someday we’ll have a real Supreme Court again instead of one bought and paid for by the Brafia.

The Brafia complaints about Obama’s presumed lack of bipartisanship, in addition to being just plain false and without merit, are little more than laughable. I hope you remember that for the past eight years (actually, even longer) the Brafia has been the most arrogantly nonpartisan bunch of crooks ever. Remember how they refused to even let Democrats use rooms for their meetings? Remember how they violated precedent by keeping the floor open longer than usual so they could keep twisting arms and get the result they wished? Remember how they created bills with no Democratic input whatsoever and then rushed them into law before anyone could even read them? Oh, yeah, they were really a bipartisan bunch. Now that they are losing power they are crying like babies about the lack of bipartisanship. Personally, I don’t want bipartisanship with a bunch of war criminals and thieves. I hope the Democrats get such a huge majority they can completely ignore the Brafia (and hopefully hold them accountable for all their crimes). It is true that McCain has a history of bipartisanship, but so does Obama, but the Brafia does not and the Democrats could not have been bipartisan even had they wished.

Obama seems to be creeping further and further ahead in the polls no matter where you look, except for a weird Gallup tracking poll that claims a 45-45 split (this seems to me absurd when you look at the rest of the polls and the differences in the number of people who claim to be Democrats as opposed to Brafia). Some point out, rightly, that Dukakis and Kerry were also ahead in the polls at this stage in the contest. I don’t know that that has any meaning. It’s sort of like betting heads will come up because tails has come up nine times in a row. I do not subscribe to the belief that because something has happened one way in the past it will probably happen that way again. I doubt that is a sensible way to calculate odds.

I don’t mean to be mean or unjust or prejudiced about age (how could I be prejudiced about age when I am older than McCain), but I have to confess that McCain comes across to me like a pathetic little old man who still thinks he’s the man he once was. I find this unutterably sad. It bears out my own experience.

LKBIQ:
“Old age is the most unexpected of things that can happen to a man.”
Leon Trotsky

No comments: