Friday, June 27, 2008

Down, Grover

German woman stealing manure
falls in manure pit, strips,
and runs off starkers.

I am trying to make some kind of sense out of Grover Nordquist’s claim that Barack Obama is just John Kerry with a tan. Many are upset because they see this as a racial slur which, at this point in American culture, is not permitted. I should think it is much more of a nasty remark about Kerry than it is about race. The implication is clear that there must be something wrong to be like Kerry. What the tan has to do with it is not clear to me. It does call attention to Obama’s darker complexion but does not seem to me to be a racial slur, just another stupid comment by Nordquist who has a history of saying stupid things, like wanting to drown government in a bathtub (he really wants to drown police and firefighters and our military in the bathtub?). It appears to me that once Nordquist’s parents taught him to say “tax cuts” he never progressed any further in his languagea acquisition. It never seems to register with Nordquist and his friends, when they rail incessantly about having to pay taxes, that if we would reduce our military expenditures and curb the military/industrial/political complex that is in full control of us and bloated beyond all reason, that maybe our taxes could go down. No, it’s never that, it’s always Social Security, Medicare, and useful humanitarian institutions that are at fault. I have never been able to decide whether Nordquist is simply stupid, or if he is just plain evil (I suppose he might be a practical joker, but I haven’t noticed that members of the Brafia have much in the way of a sense of humor). People with no sense of humor are among the most dangerous creatures on earth.

And speaking of creatures on earth, have you noticed lately that the animals are starting to strike back at us. Just the other day a mountain lion killed an ate a man in New Mexico. Coyotes have been attacking children in California and elsewhere. Bears, too, are more and more invading human homes and yards in search of food. So are Moose in some places. It probably won’t be long before we have a problem with Polar Bears trying to survive in our cities. There are more and more accounts of elephants in India invading villages in search of food. Monkeys, too, are invading houses, opening refrigerators, and stealing food. I believe there are other instances of animals turning against people as well. This is not surprising I guess, given that we are systematically destroying their territories and decreasing their food supplies and such. I find this worrisome. Just think what they might do if they had a charismatic leader like George W. Bush making decisions for them. I find it worse than terrible, and completely unconscionable, that we have fouled our environment so shamefully. I find it even worse that all other species are having to suffer from our arrogance, ignorance, thoughtlessness, and greed.

For weeks now our server has been completely unpredictable. Sometimes we can get on and sometimes not. It is very awkward having to live with such a system. This is why you may have noticed that sometimes morialekafa is published at night and other times in the morning. We keep hoping that once the snow melts on the mountains it will be fixed.

Tomorrow my bacon goes into the smoker. As I never made bacon before I just keep my fingers crossed and hope for the best. That’s what keeps us going here at Sandhill, hope, hope, and more hope. A few contributions are starting to appear for Julian’s Fund. More hope. The garden seems to finally be growing (along with the millions upon millions of weeds that grow faster than anything else). More hope. I think I made a mistake in planting this year. I planted climbing beans, corn, and squash all at the same time together in the same plot. People in Central America have been planting like this for centuries. However, I think I may have planted the wrong kind of beans as they seem to be growing much faster than the corn that is supposed to support them. Will the corn catch up? More hope. The squash is doing well. Indeed, it is doing so well I am afraid of it. I think it may grow through the windows and come in the doors and strangle us in our sleep. Naturally I hope not. A skunk is tearing up our yard like gangbusters. Every night, more holes. I think our little cat, Katie, may be in love with it. I hope not. See, hope is ubiqitious. I hope you all have a nice weekend. Chins up.

LKBIQ:
“More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.”
Woody Allen

No comments: