Friday, April 07, 2006

Enough is enough?

Our local Democrats at their monthly meeting last night decided to sponsor a billboard that will say "Enough is enough, vote Democratic." This is an okay idea and I have no doubt they will do it when the time is ripe. But I question the claim that enough is enough in this particular situation. I think it should say "Enough is more than enough." If Bush has committed an impeachable offense, that is enough. But he has committed many impeachable offenses: lying to Congress and the American people, starting a premptive "war" (the absolutely premier war crime), torture, war profiteering, hiding captives from the Red Cross, using cluster bombs and phosphorous on civilians, illegal wiretapping, leaking classified information, gross incompetence, and I don't know what all else. You may want to argue that technically some of these are not impeachable offenses. It doesn't matter, they are war crimes and that should certainly be impeachable. Thus, enough in this context is far more than enough and he and his sidekick, Dick the Slimy, should either resign forthwith or be impeached. It is not going to happen because the Republican party continues to protect him. This means to me that the Republican party itself is guilty of war crimes. They alone at the moment have the power to do something about this terrible situation and refuse to do anything.

Bush's poll numbers continue to decline day by day. They have now apparently reached 36%. I cannot understand how he could have such high ratings. I think I have figured it out. Trying to come to terms with this strange statistic I have created the Lew Langness insanity/idiocy/oblivious/popularity index. The basic problem is that it is seemingly impossible for Bush to ever attain a zero rating. He will always have some supporters no matter what (even, I gather, if he was filmed strangling children on the White House steps). How do you then account for the 36%. Simple. We know that some percentage of the population is insane (I don't know offhand just what this percentage is but it probably approaches maybe 10%. We also know that probably a similar percentage of people are idiots. Then there is a substantial number of people who are simply oblivious (I would put my mother-in-law in this category, for example). I suspect that if you added these people up it might come close to 36%. There is every reason to believe that insanity and idiocy are more prevalent among Republicans than Democrats so this would result in a relatively higher figure than for the public at large. I guess you couldn't argue that Republicans are more oblivious than others because frothing at the mouth and yelling inanities would seem to indicate they are not (completely oblivious, that is). Anyway, I'm pretty sure that you could count on a 36% popularity rating for Bush no matter what. This is his "base." What this also means is that among other more normal ordinary citizens his popularity rating must be close to zero. You see how it works. Simple if you know how to do it. I am a genius. My wife thinks I am a nut. Well, obviously people don't always agree. If they did Bush could not possible have any popularity rating whatsoever.

WAR CRIMINALS BELONG IN JAIL, NOT THE WHITE HOUSE!

No comments: