Friday, December 09, 2005

The Nobel Prize?

Suzie Creamcheese: I never thought about the attack itself as opposed to the target. I think the problem with that, for me, is that the attack is the humanicide. I do not believe "they" are interested in attacking our freedoms. I think they are more interested in their own freedoms. Freedom from U.S. meddling in their affairs, trying to control their countries (read oil), freedom from having U.S. troops on their soil, and such things. Similarly, I don't think it is difficult to understand why they "hate" us. Much has to do, of course with the Israeli/Palestinian problem and the U.S. unconditional support for what is not much more than Israeli theft and genocide. Keep thinking, apparently no one else is.

Harold Pintner won the Nobel Prize for Literature. He apparently gave an impassioned political speech (I was not able to hear it) in which, among other things, he suggested that Bush/Blair should be tried for war crimes (at least Blair as Bush never signed the War Crimes Act (or whatever it is called). I believe he is absolutely correct. My wife, who was on the computer early yesterday morning, told me this story was all over the alternate news sources. This inspired me to force myself to watch CNN for the next two hours. What I suspected would be true proved to be true. There was no mention of Pintner's speech at all, let alone his statement on war crimes. Not only that! There was no mention of the Nobel Prize! What there was, however, was a virtually endless discussion of Mariah Carey and the Grammy awards. When they paused from this for a few moments they told us over and over again about the shooting in Miami. This was truly amusing as they made a point of telling us they didn't yet know much of anything about it. Wouldn't you think they might wait until they did know something about it? Not CNN. Once they get a story, any story, no matter how local and/or petty, they stick with it 24/7. There was nothing about the Nobel Prize or Pintner's speech in our local (and only) major newspaper either. I don't necessarily think this was a deliberate omission. I think they have never heard of the Nobel Prizes or, if they have, they think they must be something for foreigners.

American culture. American values. Is in any wonder we have a mental midget as President, Mr. Evil as Vice-President, and an absolute babbling old fool as Secretary of Defense? My mother used to say, so many years ago now, "there's no fool like an old fool." How appropriate. I won't even mention Condi Rice who has now completely destroyed any credibility the U.S. might have had left (actually none, so I guess she didn't really do that much damage).

Now there is a rumor that Cheney has become such a liability he might be forced out after the New Year, resigning for his health. Don't believe it. He'll never resign and it might be more likely he will get rid of Bush than vice-vera. It is also rumored that Rumsfeld might retire (he denies it) to be replaced by - can you believe it - Joe Lieberman. I guess this proves that intelligent design is alive and well somewhere in the galaxy - certainly not here.

"We do not torture." This reminds me of a scene in For Whom the Bell Tolls, when one of my favorites, Akim Tamiroff, repeats in his drunken state "I do not provoke." It all reminds me of that quintessential American credo, "Get rich, sleep till noon, and screw 'em all." Help!

1 comment:

Suzie Creamcheese said...

A final couple of comments and then I'll leave you in peace.
I guess my problem with humanicide is that it conflates the target with the cause. That works for fratricide (I killed my brother because...), patricide (I killed my father because...) etc. In this case I think the target is truly irrelevant. I do believe it is all about destabilisation and hatred. I don't accept that it is about their freedom alone. I do agree that they do not want the West's grubby hands on their interests (why would they) but if we left them alone that would not suffice. There's some sort of 'mission from God' element to this, predicated upon us (the West) being, in their terms, evil. To some extent I see their point even if I do not agree with it.
You suggest the we already know why they hate us. Again, I disagree. You and I know why they hate us but most people don't. I hate to characterise Americans as insular who think their country is the true authority and if you don't agree with us then here's the nuzzle of a large gun, but I'm afraid it's true. I've seen this 'you're either with us or against us' attitude result in the attempt to understand why the US is hated as being seen as, in itself, un-American.
Muslims hate America. Get used to it and try to find out why. The target is supremely irrelevant other than in terms of that expression of hatred.

Here's the thing. Bali was bombed and hundreds killed even though it is a Muslim country. It was bombed because it is a mecca (excuse the pun) for Western holiday makers. The holiday makers are not the target any more than the locals in a deliberate sense but because the Bali authorities dilute the message of pure Islam in accomodating those tourist. For a Muslim country to allow Western girls to drink alcohol and wear short skirts is seen as an affront to Islam. Afront Islam, you get killed and 'you' is anyone who happens to be around. Thhis is not a target defined attack.

Interesting argument. Do me a favour, please don't elect a retard next time!