Friday, December 16, 2005

Does Bush have a death wish?

Suzie Creamcheese: Thank your for your comments. I have been a fan of George Monbiot for some time. I think he is consistently very insightful and well worth reading.As far as touting my book, The Cham Stones, I have to confess to having a financial problem that leads me to do things I don't really want to do - like trying to sell my book on my blog. The fact is, in spite of my advanced age, I have a 20 year old son who is attending an out of state University. The tuition is expensive. As a retired University Professor I am not wealthy, complicated by the fact that I am living too long and outliving my retirement benefits. So I am trying to leave no stone unturned, so to speak. It does make me feel like an (ugh) American, which of course I am (but under present circumstances I would prefer not to be). But back to business.

In an interview with Brian Williams of NBC Bush apparently said the following: "I remember the day we committed the troops, or I committed the troops, there's no 'we' to it. I committed the troops to combat in Iraq. And I left here (the Oval Office), walked out the door, walked around that South Lawn with my trusty dog Spot,just thinking about the consequences."

Is he really unaware that he is confessing to having committed a war crime? Can he possibly be that out of touch with reality? I fear so. As near as I can tell he must basically want everyone to know that he, George W. Bush, is a very important person who can order "wars" or whatever he wants. I guess Cheney, Rumsfeld, Rice, et al, had nothing to do with it. I think he must have stopped listening to Rove. I refuse to even comment on his "trusty dog Spot."

Well, Bush and McCain seem to have arrived at some agreement about torture. They have apparently agreed that everyone will abide by the Military Code. Of course the Military Code is being revised so no doubt it will still allow for torture but under another name. So McCain gets his victory (which will help him in his quest for the Presidency) and Bush gets credit for being flexible. If you believe any of this dreck let me sell you some nonexistent property.

The Senate, much to their credit, has blocked the renewal of the Patriot Act, or at least some of its more objectionable features. Perhaps there is hope after all.

It now turns out that Bush signed a secret document to allow spying on U.S. citizens, even though such a things was/is illegal. I gather this is going to be investigated by Congress (ha ha).

I guess the most interesting development of all has to do with the latest argument from the anti-evolutionists that if people are merely animals, and animals wrote the Constitution, the Constitution must be irrelevant. At least I think that is what they are saying. I must confess that everything these people say is so far fetched and ridiculous my tiny brain is not able to cope with it. The bible is literally true? The earth is only 6000 years old? People existed contemporaneously with dinosaurs? The Grand Canyon is a result of the flood? The Rapture is imminent? George W. Bush communicates with and was sent by God to spread democracy around the earth? Intelligent Design is as useful and believable as the theory of evolution? Why do I not believe any of this? Because I am a disgusting atheist who is determined to take the Christ out of Christmas. If there is a Christ in Christmas nowadays he has to be hiding somewhere in a cash register.

1 comment:

Watch 'n Wait said...

And now Israel intends to nuke Iran in March. I seriously believe the Bush/Cheney/PNAC cabal are unavoidably marching us quickly to World War III. More, today, via Bush, the USA legitamized torture contrary to what the media thinks, and with authorizing NSA to spy on Americans, Bush has committed yet another impeachable offense.