Sunday, April 13, 2008

She doesn't get it

Teen goes for Guiness record,
blows up 213 balloons with his nose
in one hour. Mom and Dad help.

Hillary Clinton doesn’t seem to get it. The more she carries on about Obama’s “bitterness” remark, the more ridiculous she becomes. Obama likened her to Annie Oakley. Sorry, she’s no Annie Oakley. She doesn’t shoot straight. She’s desperate. Very desperate. You can see it now in her eyes and her demeanor, she’s “losing it” I think. I’m beginning to feel sorry for her. I wonder, will the guys in the white coats have to come and take her away. She’s become a danger to herself and others (especially Obama). Sorry Bill, there’s not going to be any Clinton dynasty (or Bush/Clinton dynasty if that’s what you are really up to). You should give up now while you still have at least some semblance of respect.

Have you noticed how often John McCain says “my friends?” He says it a lot. When I hear it now it always comes across to me as “my uninformed friends,” or “my gullible friends,” or even as “my friends, the suckers.” Whatever, it certainly doesn’t strike me as being in the least bit friendly. It’s like, “my chumps,” let me tell you how things are, or “my inferiors whom I would like to think they think they are my friends,” for this particular business at hand. In any case, to me, this is the most insincere affectation being used these days by politicians. But, then, what would you expect? They are politicians. I am beginning to have renewed respect for used car salespersons.

I hadn’t realized that John Yoo was a tenured professor at Berkeley before he was called to Washington to write the torture memos. I should have. This explains why he is still at Berkeley despite his abominations. Tenure is a tough nut to crack, because tenure, contrary to what many believe, is not designed to insure permanent employment as such, but, rather, to guarantee and protect free speech in our universities (which is far too important to be taken lightly). Yoo is being called to explain to Congress the legal basis for his torture memos (which is highly questionable to say the least). Thus it will be most interesting to see how or if this will affect his professorship. Free speech is one thing, rampant dishonesty for political causes is another thing entirely (or at least it should be).

The wheels of justice turn slowly, it has been said. They certainly do. When it comes to justice in the U.S. one wonders if they are turning at all. Here we have a criminal conspiracy that has been running the country for the past eight years, blissfully ignoring the laws of the land as well as the Constitution and International Law as well, and nothing is being done about it. At least nothing that seems to be measurable in any way. Of course there have been and are investigations of various kinds, committees to look into this and that, threats of subpoenas, and so on, but nothing ever seems to come of any of it. Henry Waxman himself must be involved in dozens of different investigations, seems like a new one every few days, but I guess they are merely for show as once they supposedly begin we never hear any more about them. Our much vaunted separation of powers, designed for the three branches of government to oversee each other, doesn’t seem to function as planned. Perhaps because the founding fathers never thought there would be a situation in which criminals would take over all three branches, plus the Justice Department and the Supreme Court. Maybe, if we ever wiggle out of this morass, we should pay more attention in the future.

LKBIQ:
"The dead cannot cry out for justice; it is the duty of the living to do so for them."
Lois McMaster Bujold

No comments: