Friday, November 17, 2006

2008

Well, now that the 2006 elections are over it is now time, right now, to begin discussions of 2008 (this can't even wait for Thanksgiving and Christmas). I confess I have no idea of what is likely to ensue (and I strongly suspect no one else does either) but why should that keep me from speculating wildly just like everyone else? First, I can tell you that I am soooo relieved to learn that Rick Santorum is not going to run for President. Man, I was really worried about that. He would have been a strong candidate for the idiot vote (and there are lots of them in the Republican fold). And I guess we can eliminate macaca Allen who actually considered running. As he failed to even keep his seat in the Senate he probably won't get much traction for President. Guiliani, the ex mayor of New York, pro-choice, pro-gun control, pro-gay, I think we can rule him out (he must have genuine delusions of grandeur). Romney, but he is a Mormom, not much chance there. John McCain, the apparent front runner, a genuine warmonger, out of sync with the 92% of Americans who do not want to send more troops to Iraq, willing to kiss Dubya's ass in public for the nomination, perhaps too old, and has already alienated himself from the main Republican "base." That leaves Jeb who has said he is not running. Ha-ha-ha. If Carlyle wants him to run, he'll run. If anyone would vote for another Bush at this point in time I guess they would deserve to maintain their peasant status.

On the Democratic front we have Hillary as the ostensible front runner. She has name recognition, tons of money, lots of chips to cash in, and there is growing acceptance of the idea of a female President. But she is incredibly divisive and worse, she has Bill. Is Bill going to be content to arrange dinners, host cocktail parties for visiting dignitaries, arranges menus, and stuff like that? Furthermore, Hillary, although I hate to say it, is a DLC Republican. When it comes right down to the real nitty-gritty I doubt she can get the nomination (as she probably can't win the election). John Kerry has already blown it. Barack Obama is cute and on a roll but please, not enough experience (and he's black). John Edwards, a possibility, but again, not much experience (a great vice-presidential candidate). Bill Richardson, a governor and probably a good guy, but Hispanic, and unfortunately a kind of light-weight. Who else? Other than Al Gore (who should already have been President) I don't know at the moment. But Al Gore isn't running (at least not yet) and if he is smart (and he is) probably won't (why should anyone sacrifice himself to try to overcome the the incredible mess Bush has made of the world?). If Gore would agree to take on this unbelievable thankless task we should all support him without reservation. I suggest he would be a national hero even before he was elected (again). But what do I know? I said Ronald Reagan could never be elected President. I said George W. Bush could never be elected President. I said he could never be elected for a second term. I now believe that the Carlyle Group could elect a serial child rapist to be President if they chose to do so. Watch out for Jeb.

No comments: