Sunday, January 28, 2007

A new world

I guess the 21st century has ushered in an entirely new world. Certainly there was nothing in the last century anything like what has happened so far in this one. However flawed and perhaps even unprincipled occurred in the United States, there was nothing like the Bush/Cheney disaster that seems to be going completely unpunished. Here we have a situation in which it is commonly known that our President and Vice-President have committed multiple acts that should have immediately led to their impeachment (or at least their forced resignations) but they go on blissfully lying and doing whatever they wish with apparently no serious opposition. If ever there was a clear-cut case for impeachment it has to be in the case of Bush/Cheney. If ever there was a case for Congress to exert its power and responsibility it has to be now. So what do they do? They pass nonbinding resolutions that basically say Bush/Cheney have been bad boys, thus slapping them on the wrists and ignoring absolutely blatant war crimes (high crimes and misdemeanors don't even begin to describe how hideously awful their crimes really are). Bush/Cheney continue to appear on national television spinning their foul lies and demented beliefs and those who interview them don't even challenge them. It is as if they still have some kind of credibility, as if they somehow still deserve to be heard, as if the entire world hasn't already turned off. How much more awful can their behavior be to warrant some kind of meaningful punishment? They blatantly lied to Congress and the U.S. citizens to bring about their illegal "war," they have tortured, hidden prisoners from the Red Cross, used illegal weapons, killed thousands of innocent civilians, illegally spied upon U.S. citizens, trashed our Constitution, engaged in egregious war profiteering, and continue to lie daily about what is happening in Iraq (and may be even planning to go to "war" against Iran - based upon further lies). They have done and continue to do all of these things - AND NO ONE SEEMS TO BE WILLING TO DO ANYTHING SERIOUS ABOUT IT!! This is not the world I grew up in during the 20th century. It is an entirely new world that seems to have abandoned all sense of decency and responsibility. GEORGE W. BUSH AND DICK CHENEY AND OTHERS OF THEIR ILK ARE KNOWN WAR CRIMINALS DRIVEN BY GREED AND DREAMS OF EMPIRE THAT HAVE CAUSED UNTOLD MISERY FOR HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS OF PEOPLE. WHY ARE THEY GOING UNPUNISHED, NOT EVEN BEING HELD ACCOUNTABLE FOR WHAT THEY HAVE INFLICTED ON OTHERS? WE NEED ACTION NOW, NOT TWO YEARS FROM NOW WHEN THEY WILL APPARENTLY JUST RETIRE WITH THEIR LOOT AND WRITE GLORIOUS ACCOUNTS OF THEIR DESPICABLE BEHAVIOR.

I'm sorry, I just don't think I can take any more. Nothing in my lifetime has prepared me for what is now being allowed to happen.

1 comment:

Tlazolteotl said...

Hi. I found your blog via a search on "pickled pigs feet" of all things. My great grandmother, a German from Silesia who fled to the US after WWI, used to share them with me when I was little.

I do agree with your sentiment (I don't always express it so nicely on my blog, fadedflowers.blogspot.com). It is very sad, that these criminals are grabbing for ever more power, and little is done to confront it.

I was interested in the fact that you now live in Idaho, right next door. I pass through, further south on I-84, once or twice a year. IF you don't mind, I'll bookmark you can come back to visit.