Saturday, May 20, 2006

People like him?

Karl Rove, evil Rasputin of the Bush/Cheney Administration, claims that in spite of his low poll ratings, "people like him" (Bush, that is). I guess it depends upon what "people" is. Certainly I don't like him. I don't actually know anyone who likes him. Of course I live in the reddest of red states but even here I've never heard anyone claim to like him (of course I don't move in circles where that might occur). At the same time Rove makes this claim there is a piece on Buzzflash that claims people are fed up with Bush's "personality." I don't know how you reconcile these claims. It does seem to me that with a favorable rating of 29% and apparently sinking there can't be too many people who like him. What do I know.

In an effort to keep morialekafa from sinking even further into a darker funk of despair, depression and hopelessness, let me try a joke. If you have heard this before, forgive me. If you are put off buy mild bathroom humor, forgive me. If you are sick to death of the "nightmare years," forgive me. I did what I could to keep him from getting elected. I did what I could to stop his insane and unnecessary "war," I marched, I wrote letters, I did my puny best. Anyway:

There was this man who became upset because his farts went "honda." This wasn't really too bad but it was very irritating and he could not understand it. So he went to his doctor.
The doctor examined him, and interviewed him, and concluded he had no idea why his farts went "honda."
He sought a second opinion, and then a third, and no one could come up with an explanation.
Finally, in desperation, he went to a Chinese doctor. This venerable old soul examined his behind with great care and then announced, "abscess!"
Abscess?
Yes, "abscess make de fart go honda."

Yeah, I know. I apologize. I am desperate. I think I first heard this from some folk singer.

It seems the fighting in Afghanistan is now worse than it was in 2001. Another Bush/Cheney success.

Iraq now has a new cabinet - except for two or three of the most important and controversial positions. Progress? Bush/Blair will try to use this as an excuse to exit if they can. As in Vietnam we can claim victory and leave (except, of course, for the billion dollar embassy and the permanent bases).

Ethnic cleansing is now going on in earnest in Iraq. People who can afford it are leaving the country. In areas where there are minorities they are being forced out under penalty of death. The country is breaking up, predictably, into three separate groups, Kurds, Sunnis, and Shiites. Civil war continues. Bush/Cheney/Rumsfeld/Rice continue their "winning ways." Progress, Bush insists, is being made. I guess it depends upon what progress "is."

Six thousand National Guard troops to the Mexican border is being exposed for the utter nonsense it is. Sensenbrenner and his lunatic supporters apparently will not give in to any form of humanitarianism, preferring to label 11 million or more hispanics as felons to be sent back to Mexico (the effect of this on the Mexican economy would be disastrous but who cares about stuff like that).

There is at least some reason to believe that Al Gore may consider running once again for President. Personally, I think he is the only viable Democratic candidate. I hope he does it, even though I think he would be crazy to do so. If he does he will be making the greatest personal sacrifice for his country probably in history. Who would want to have to clean up after this disastrous Bush/Cheney debacle? He (or she) would have to do everything that would be virtually impossible to do - raise taxes, somehow reduce the obscene national debt, curb corporate power and control, restore America's standing in the International community, do something important about global warming, stop warrantless spying, deal with rampant corruption, prosecute war profiteers and criminals, a corrupt Supreme Court, and etc. In order to do this he/she would obviously be seen as a failure no matter how successful they were (because, of course, it would be an impossible task). It will involve a personal sacrifice so profound as to be virtually unthinkable. If Gore would agree to take this on we would have to swear allegiance and support no matter what agents of destruction attempted to stop him. If not Gore, who? Think about it. Hillary? McCain? Frist? Biden? Kerry? Edwards? Lieberman? Jeb? Oh, I know, just the person - Rice (try not to throw up).

I like Al Gore. I believe he is most probably our only hope. I think he would be crazy to do it. I hope he does it. After all, he was legally elected President in the first place.

No comments: