Wednesday, March 03, 2010

More Guns

Naked Tacoma woman found
tied to a tree was part of
a “consensual rendezvous.”

I am not opposed to people owning guns, even handguns, although I have real problems with AK 47’s, .50 caliber machine guns, and “anything big enough to be towed by a truck.” I am not, in principle, even opposed to the NRA, but I really think they are carrying things to extremes that are just plain silly. Now they apparently think it is necessary for people to wear their guns when they go to Starbucks for coffee. I gather this is merely to prove that they can do so, at least in some states. Why do they need to prove this? I have no idea. Starbucks, not wanting to be caught in the middle of some controversy over gun rights and such, have simply said (reasonably enough) that if it is legal in such and such a state to carry a gun into their store it’s okay with them. This development is just a continuation of these extremist gun owners demands to be able to carry their guns everywhere (I bet a lot of them wear them to bed, or at least keep them under their pillows). They carry them now into our National Parks, into churches, bars, stores, and wherever they wish. Why they do this I do not know. I do know that it is completely irrational to claim you need to carry a gun into Starbucks, churches, theatres, or bars, these are not dangerous places, there is no reason, realistically, to suppose you are suddenly going to be attacked while drinking a martini or attending services. If you’re out in the woods, or entering a danger zone, or alone on the highway late at night, or something like that, I can see why you might wish to bear arms. But, really, this is getting silly.

And speaking of silly, Her Silliness is having a ball. On Leno last night (I don’t watch Leno but of course I heard about it) she actually performed as a stand-up comedian for the first time. While her routine was pretty corny her presence was quite relaxed and confident. She is getting huge speaking fees and her book was a financial success. I may be wrong but I believe her lighthearted behavior suggests she has no intention of running for President. I would think if she was serious about it she would conduct herself in a much more thoughtful and serious manner. Silly Sarah knows what she is about and she is milking it for all its worth. When it runs out she’ll take her money to the bank and perhaps continue to comment on the political scene, but I think that’s as far as she will go. Actually, I hope I am wrong and she will run for President where she’ll really provide some laughs.

Well, Obama has now thrown down the gaunt let, so to speak. There is no going back. Either Congress will pass the Health Care Bill or they won’t. My belief is, they will, as they can hardly do otherwise without dooming themselves to premature oblivion. I do not ordinarily pass on jokes, but this one seems to me to be so pertinent I cannot resist:

“Five surgeons from big cities are discussing who makes the best patients to operate on.
The first one, from New York, says, ‘I like to see accountants on my operating table because when you open them up, everything inside is numbered.’

The second, from Chicago, responds, ‘Yeah, but you should try electricians! Everything inside them is color coded.’

The third surgeon, from Dallas, says, ‘No, I really think librarians are the best, everything inside them is in alphabetical order.’

The fourth, from Los Angeles chimes in: ‘You know, I like construction workers. Those guys always understand when you have a few parts left over.’

But the fifth surgeon, from Washington, D.C. shuts them all up when he observes: ‘You’re all wrong. Politicians are the easiest to operate on. There’s no guts, no heart, no balls, no brains and no spine, and the head and the ass are interchangeable.’”

LKBIQ:
Congress consists of one third, more or less, scoundrels; two thirds, more or less, idiots; and three thirds, more or less, poltroons.
H. L. Mencken

TILT:
We need a history of apple pie.

No comments: