Friday, December 25, 2009

Now the Re-runs

Well, that part of this somewhat dreadful season is over. I confess I don’t think Christmas is all bad, or at least it wouldn’t be if we exercised a bit more restraint. We did this year. First of all we, especially my wife who runs everything, were unusually busy, so busy we didn’t even get our tree up and decorated until two days before Christmas. We barely got the presents wrapped in time to get up this morning and open them, and there were fewer than ever before. But it was still Christmas, we still enjoyed it, and we managed to experience it in only four days instead of the usual month or six weeks it takes. I liked it. I hope it works the same way next year. We still managed to have a wonderful Christmas Eve dinner with friends and today an absolutely marvelous bouillabaisse for Christmas day (at least as wonderful as is possible here in Podunk-away-from-the-sea, thank goodness for flash freezing).

But we are not, as they say, “out-of-the-woods” yet, as we still have to suffer through until New Years Day. That is, not much of anything will be reported as happening in the world for the next few days. This means we will be subjected to innumerable year end reviews, repeated reporting of events of the past year. I already know what happened. I was present. I think the past year was pretty dismal and I don’t really want to have it reviewed ad nauseam. Indeed, I believe the first decade of the 21st century will be remembered as the “Nightmare Decade,” and I am greatly relieved to have done with it. I would prefer only a dim memory of all the lies, murders, secret prisons, assorted war crimes, illegal and unconstitutional acts, foreclosures, unemployment, and general misery that was engendered by the Bush/Cheney criminal conspiracy to create a Fascist Dictatorship. I gather that is all I am going to get is a dim memory because the Obama administration is doing its utmost to pretend none of this happened and refuses to investigate and prosecute even those who have admitted their crimes. I think their failure to investigate the Bush/Cheney crimes has been a terrible mistake. In my opinion it should have been a priority, they should have started by cleaning house and bringing to justice those who rightfully deserve to be brought to justice. The world knows Bush/Cheney are guilty, and they now know that we are apparently going to protect them. This is not a way to regain the confidence and respect of other nations. Obama may achieve some progress in restoring our international relations, but I doubt he will ever convince others to fully trust us, knowing we are willing to prosecute other war criminals but not our own. It is called hypocrisy, and it clings to us like stepping in dog shit. It was also a mistake because the same people that committed these terrible crimes and atrocities, and have been demonstrably wrong about everything, are allowed to run free, making speeches, criticizing the current administration and creating an environment of unnecessary confusion and discontent, to say nothing of trying to promote even further “wars” and misery. Bush/Cheney should be in jail, not out getting even richer by lying and revising history at every opportunity.

Given the current state of the Republican Party I find it virtually unbelievable that anyone would want to join it. But some supposedly Democratic Representative from somewhere-or-other (I can’t remember where at the moment) has announced he is going to do just that. I understand that whoever he is, is a genuine creep, but I guess the Republicans will be glad to add him to their roster of creeps. They are so pleased they are apparently trying to recruit other Democrats. I wonder what they say to them, “Come and join the asylum?” Maybe it’s “Come and join the party of “No.” They seem to think they are going to make great inroads in the 2010 elections. What I find terrifying is, they might, which will just prove what I already believe about the American electorate -- crazy is the word that comes immediately to mind. Even if you are one of those terribly disenchanted supporters of Obama, how could you possibly believe turning to the current Republican Party could be an improvement? But of course, I forget, they have those incredibly brilliant leaders now: Sarah Palin, Glenn Beck, Rush Limbaugh, John Boehner, Bobby Jindal, Chuck Grassley, Inhofe, Coburn, Kantor, New Gingrich, and, if God sends a message on time, maybe even Michelle Bachman. Now there’s a lineup that can fill one with awe, a veritable idiot’s parade that can surely lead us to the Promised Land.

LKBIQ:
Don't believe anything you read on the net. Except this. Well, including this, I suppose.
Douglas Adams

TILT:
Calico cats are almost always female. In extremely rare cases of a male calico cat they are unable to reproduce.

No comments: