Saturday, November 17, 2007

HBO?

Burglar flees into Florida swamp,
found dead with teeth marks on torso.
Nine foot alligator killed.

Bubblehead:
I got linked with HBO? I have no idea what you are talking about. However, I do wish you would stop trying to twist everything I say into some bizarre interpretation of your own. First, I did not say, or even imply, that felons who have served their time or people of diminished capacity should not be able to have jobs. I was obviously talking about the fact that the military has had to lower their standards in order to find enough bodies to keep Bush/Cheney's perpetual "war" going. I do not think this is a good or wise thing. Especially as the only ones to gain from this are the insatiable, greedy members of the military/industrial/political system. Second, I did not say that I thought veterans in general were unstable and I find it deplorable that 120 veterans a week are committing suicide no matter where those statistics come from. But now that you mention it, I think there is every reason to suppose that many of our returning veterans from Iraq and Afghanistan are unstable. And why should they not be, having been forced to participate in an immoral, illegal, and unnecessary "war" where they doubtless suffered all sorts of trauma. It has been widely reported that our returning vets are suffering from mental problems (and receiving very little help). I'm not sure I believe the 120 suicides a week refer to the entire veteran population. It certainly makes sense to believe that returning veterans do not have the same rates of suicide as the population in general. While it is true that what I say is not 100% scientifically accurate I don't just make it up. The suicides, the lowering of standards for the military, and such things are widely reported by many different news outlets.

P.S. You read this and commented before it was finished. It is certainly true that I don't know much about all the other blogs and don't generally pay much attention to them. I had been told by someone that I was quoted in the Statesman. I was going to comment as follows:

A quote from Morialekafa appeared in the Idaho Statesman. That is a Boise newspaper. I feel rather like I might have finally contacted people from another galaxy. I've heard of Boise, of course, that glistening infernal city in the south that is the locus of power for the state, and the Capitol. I've been told there is an old cow path that leads all the way from Bonners Ferry there but you must have a spirit of adventure and a great deal of patience to complete the trip. I have also heard that the closer you get to Boise the cow path tends to turn more and more into an actual highway (I don't know if this is true as I have only flown there a few times). The powers that be in the state, Republicans, of course, either reside in Boise or congregate there to run the affairs of the state. That is why our educational system is so impoverished. Unable to escape all responsibility for financing education, they have begrudgingly bestowed a few pennies now and then on our schools. It was just recently revealed that Idaho is 49th of all the states in having their students go on to college, a resounding 26%. Thank goodness for Mississippi. These things are not unrelated. I hesitate to think about the drop-out rate and what happens to all these children. These wise men have also decreed that it is more important for farmers to ship their potatoes more inexpensively to the coast than it is to save the salmon that are trying desperately to survive, marvelous and enormous runs of salmon that are hundreds of thousands year old. Idaho is also right up there in front of homophobia, insisting that marriage remain only a union of a man and a woman. Perhaps Boise is still gun-shy from the publication of The Boys of Boise so many years ago. Idaho also leads in believing that legislators should have more authority over women's bodies than women do and, apparently, tend to believe strongly that a woman's place is in the home. To this end we keep electing hypocrites like Larry (wide stance) Craig and utter morons like the incredible Mr. No, Bill Sali. Having lived here now for about 18 years I have finally figured out what the state motto is: "If it was good enough for pappy, it's good enough for you."

LKBIQ:
"I am as young as the most beautiful wish in my heart--and as old as all the unfulfilled longings in my life..."
An old !Kung Bushman

1 comment:

Bubblehead said...

"HBO" is Huckleberries Online -- it's the Idaho-centric blog at the Spokesman Review, a Spokane newspaper. Likewise, you were quoted in the Idaho Statesman the other day. (Click on the different colored words above to go to the links.)I admit I used a strawman in this case (which I shouldn't have done, given your seeming general unfamiliarity with blogging back-and-forth), but since you're becoming a more visible Larry Grant supporter, I don't want to have Larry eventually answering questions about why his blog supporters are saying such ridiculous things without being corrected by other supporters. (Future LTTE from Adam: "One of Larry's supporters in northern Idaho was mentioned in the Statesman the other day as saying that Cheney will be putting all dissenters in Halliburton-built prisons. Does Larry Grant really believe that?")

Once again, if you'd like to know who is sending traffic your way, I'd recommend you get a Sitemeter -- they're easy to install. Just let me know if you'd like instructions either in the comments or your next post (or E-mail me) and I'll help you out, one Larry Grant supporter to another.

On the original topic, though, I am interested to see that progressives generally think that convicted felons should be allowed to vote, but not serve in the military. Serving in the military must be a higher calling than just voting, in that case. (Oops, another Strawman; I just can't help myself...)