Saturday, December 16, 2006

Will He or Won't He

About 70% of Americans want our troops out of Iraq. It is widely agreed, even by members of the Bush/Cheney administration that there can be no military solution, that no victory is now possible. Some of our generals are claiming our troops are already inadequate for the job and already spread too thin. It has already been pointed out that sending more troops would be nothing more than a gamble. Sooo...it is being reported that Bush/Cheney are quite likely going to send in another 20,000 or more troops for one final attempt at victory. I sincerely hope this absurd plan does not materialize. Furthermore, I believe that even if they did send in more troops and were successful in eliminating the al Sadr militia (which I think is probably impossible), it would make little or no difference in the ongoing civil war. In short, in the simplest terms I can find: THIS IS AN IDEA EVERY BIT AS STUPID AND INSANE AS INVADING IRAQ IN THE FIRST PLACE! Can Republicans not work up the courage and good sense to march en masse on the White House and demand these fools resign? No, of course not, they are Republicans. They are not interested in how many more deaths occur, just in clinging to whatever power they might be able to salvage. And Bush is constitutionally unable to admit he did something incredibly stupid (and not for the first time) and unable to accept that Daddy's friends had to try to bail him out once again. So while he pretends to listen to others and stalls for time more and more of our troops are being sacrificed for nothing more than his ego, perhaps even his id (he obviously has no superego). What a pathetic loser he is, and what's worse, he is dragging us all down with him.

Live and Learn: There is a large and exceptionally fine Asian market in Seattle where I happen to be at the moment. They have all kinds of produce including meats of all kinds. You can find things there that you cannot ordinarily find anywhere else, like pork tongues, pork jowels, pig's ears, and such. I love the place and visit every chance I get. I recently came across milkfish. I had never heard of milkfish so I googled it up. It turns out that milkfish is a common fish in the Pacific, particularly in the Philippines, and places like that. As I have been in the Philippines, and other areas of the Pacific I guess I should have known about milkfish. But I didn't. What really surprised me even more, however, was seeing milkfish bellies for sale. Somehow this struck me as hilarious. You never hear of salmon bellies for sale, or bass bellies, or halibut bellies, or others. So why milkfish bellies? I found this hard to believe. I bet my wife that if you googled milkfish bellies you would find nothing. Is my face red! It turns out this is quite a common dish. It seems that milkfish bellies are fatty and creamy and regarded as a delicacy. I can hardly wait to try some. So, you see, even when you are old and overconfident in your ways, you can always learn something new (and perhaps even delicious).

No comments: