Wednesday, June 08, 2011

Should he...

resign, that is. Of course I’m talking about Congressman Anthony Weiner, he of the unfortunate name and apparently arrested development. I promise that after tonight I will try desperately to never mention this story again. It is a somewhat interesting story, perhaps not as interesting as global warming, Fukushima, Afghanistan, Iran, Iraq, Israel, Medicare, the deficit, Syria, Yemen, and some of those other problems that exist out there in what is now apparently never-never-land, but very interesting nonetheless (and of course of vital importance). It seems that just about everyone is calling for Weiner’s resignation, both Democrats and Republicans, who are all said to be turning their backs on him, throwing him under the bus, casting aspersions in all directions, and otherwise giving him the silent treatment, except for those in the district he represents who seem to care less about his sexual peccadillos. Many have called for his outright resignation, Pelosi has ordered an ethics investigation, and so far I have not seen anyone defend him except maybe indirectly. I find the call for an ethics investigation, in this particular case, a bit of overkill, if not downright bizarre. In ay case, if ethics or morality had much to do with Congress there wouldn’t be enough of them around to even change a tire.

Naturally the Republicans are the most vocal in their demands that he resign. This presents a bit of a dilemma for them, for as long as Vitter continues in office their hypocrisy rises once again to the surface to expose their own sexual misbehaviors. As they have no shame whatsoever about their hypocrisy this doesn’t seem to bother them.

I certainly do not condone Weiner’s behavior, but in all fairness I must say that when compared to previous sex scandals, his behavior is roughly the equivalent of getting caught with his hand in the cookie jar. There may be more damaging photos, as Andrew (Not so) Breitbart claims, but if they are they have yet to surface. I find the argument somewhat compelling that he should not resign unless Vitter is also made to resign, but it is not clear to me that he should resign at all. The problem here seems to have more to do with his peers shunning him, and thus rendering him ineffective, than it does with what he actually is guilty of doing. What I find the most disturbing about this case is his apparent stupidity in the face of our current technology. I am also disturbed by his apparently juvenile approach to sexuality, the kind of behavior you would expect of teens or perhaps college students. I find it hard to believe that he could not have realized that twittering and using Facebook, as well as engaging in telephone sex might well be discovered. I am also taken by the suggestion made by someone that perhaps everyone’s internet and phone lines should be made public for what they might reveal about others. Of course this is a horrible idea but it does make a point. I don’t know why Weiner has so little support from his peers when his violations are relatively mild, do not constitute a crime, no adultery, not even any physical contact with these women who themselves were engaging in the same, apparently not that unusual behavior. I thought he was a very effective liberal Congressman and it will be a shame to lose him. His career may well be ruined, perhaps even his marriage, by something I should think far more forgivable that most other cases we have known in recent years. If people like Breitbart would mind their own business such tragedies might be avoided. Oh, I forgot, this IS Breitbart’s dirty business. I wonder what his personal records might reveal, not that it matters very much. I wonder if he was trained by Karl Rove in the fine art of roviating?

I strongly suspect that most Europeans are laughing at us, as they should be.

Adolescence is the stage between infancy and adultery.
Unknown

No comments: