Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Beyond Outrage

I cannot bring myself to write much of a blog tonight because I have been thinking, always a dangerous thing to do these days. I could say I was merely outraged, but that would be putting it too mildly. The more I think about it the more I am upset by the scandalous, unreasonable, atrocious, horrendous, abominable, egregious, execrable, horrid, barbaric, inhuman, abusive, monstrous, vile, foul, indecent, obnoxious, even vicious, cruel, heinous, iniquitous, and unthinkable behavior of our Republicans. That they could even attempt to hold up the important business of our country by demanding further tax breaks for the top 2% of taxpayers (a mere increase from 36 to 39%) is the most appalling thing I have ever seen. This absurd tax bill should not only be defeated in the House, all 42 of the Republicans that signed the disgusting threat to do nothing until they got their way should be tarred and feathered and run out of their respective districts on rails (if not worse). I find this so ridiculous I cannot understand why anyone is willing to put up with it. There is no excuse for President Obama and the Democrats, they have simply and cowardly allowed themselves to be bullied by a minority party completely in the wrong on this issue. It shouldn’t even be an issue, it shouldn’t even have been considered, Republicans should simply have been laughed out of town for even proposing such a thing. The very idea that we should give billions of dollars further into debt to give tax breaks to the wealthiest people on earth when we are already dangerously in debt is beneath contempt, a non-starter, a concept so patently absurd I cannot believe anyone would have had the gall to even suggest it. But not only have our shameless Republicans suggested it, they have insisted on it, attempted to blackmail our President in order to achieve this more than unworthy (and in fact not truly very important) goal. Aside from the damage it will do to our deficit, does anyone really believe it will matter very much to the multi-millionaires and billionaires, do any of them really need a few more millions? Because this is true you have to not lose sight of the fact that there are other, more ulterior motives at work, like eventually making these cuts permanent, attacking Social Security and Medicare, and so on. The House should nip this in the bud right now, just say “no,” absolutely not, and force these bastards to fight publicly for their outlandish tax cuts for the wealthy and their less than noble motives, and there should be no mincing of words about what they are doing. Of course we can’t expect our corporate controlled MSM to cooperate, there may be no alternative to massive demonstrations. They simply cannot be allowed to succeed in this nefarious business.


The only bright spot I can see at the moment is that the House voted to repeal DADT and there is at least some reason to believe the Senate will follow suit. Let us hope so, let us hope we can get this ridiculous discriminatory policy behind us and go on to more important business.

The Crystal Gazer
I shall gather myself into my self again,
I shall take my scattered selves and make them one.
I shall fuse them into a polished crystal ball
Where I can see the moon and the flashing sun.
I Shall sit like a sibyl, hour after hour intent.
Watching the future come and the present go -
And the little shifting pictures of people rushing
In tiny self-importance to and fro.

- Sara Teasdale

No comments: