Friday, June 05, 2009

Strep throat

To avoid going back to jail,
Russian brothers kill
and eat elder sibling.

I would never have believed that a sore throat could be so debilitating. I have had strep throat for the past two or three days and I am absolutely miserable with it. If you live in Bonners Ferry or environs you must be very careful. I would not wish this experience on anyone. Supposedly this malady goes away in from 3 to 7 days, no matter what you do. I have taken hydracordone, aspirin, lemon tea and hot whiskies, none of which worked. I finally had to see a doctor today. The medicines he prescribed do nothing. As I have been unable to do much of anything else, I have finished the book, Columbine, which my son insisted I read. More on his later, probably Sunday.

From what I can gather, and from the portions I heard, it appears that Obama’s speech yesterday in Cairo was well received by most. I thought it was remarkably straight-forward and honest and spelled out what he believes about our situation vis-à-vis the Muslim world, especially the Israeli/Palestinian issue which up until now has been totally intractable. But we know he can talk the talk, now we will see if he can walk the walk. It is long past time an American President told the Israelis to stop their illegal theft of land and water and negotiate for a serious Palestinian state.

Do you ever wonder how it is that people as far out and ignorant as Inhofe and Bachman get elected, and often reelected? I used to wonder things like that, because I was naïve and believed in the system. But now that I am older and much more cynical I know the answer. They get elected because their constituents are just as far out and ignorant as they are (if not moreso). Of course this works at the higher levels of government also. Witness the case of George W. Bush, almost certainly borderline retarded. He could barely speak our language and often said things so stupid that no one with even average intelligence would have said them. His gems of wisdom are widely available on the web if you care to look for them. Of course Bush was well marketed and was just the kind of President our corporate masters desired, malleable, not very interested in the job, easy to convince to do what it was Cheney and others wanted him to do. He may be able to use his diminished mental capacity to escape accountability for his participation in war crimes. Don’t forget his famous “ranch,” actually a converted pig farm that under his ownership had no livestock of any kind. He vacationed there often during his incumbency, pausing sometimes only for photo-ops. The “ranch” was sold even before he was out of the White House. It’s true, in America image is all.

LKBIQ:
The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair.
Douglas Adams

TILT:
As much as two thirds of an adult sloth’s body weight consists of its stomach.

No comments: