Saturday, January 21, 2006

Apologies and comments

I apologize! Let me explain. Morialekafa was receiving quite a lot of spam comments. In an attempt to stop the spam I inadvertently also created a situation in which no one could comment on Morialekafa unless they belonged to the blog. So for quite some time now I have been getting zero comments. While I never received a lot of comments it was unusual that I was receiving virtually none. I believe this situation has now been resolved and as far as I know anyone should now be able to comment. And I hope they will as I truly miss the comments.

Although I could not bring myself to look into the defense budget yesterday, today I learned that the actual sum is four hundred forty two billion dollars (442 billion). As I knew, this is larger than all of the defense budgets of all of the other countries on earth. Are we preparing to war against all other countries on earth? Perhaps we are preparing for an invasion from outer space? More likely we are just plain and simply insane. There is no explanation for this other than the absolute greed of corporations and members of the administration who control the purse strings. Anyone who doubts that we are at the mercy of a military-industrial complex that is blatantly wasting taxpayer money on military projects with virtually no purpose is just simply asleep. I repeat, this is obscene! Unnecessary! Stupid! Foolish! Ridiculous! Absurd! I have no doubt we could easily do with half this amount and perhaps even less. And think what we might do with all that money. I can't think about it. It makes me sick.

The White House is claiming that Bush doesn't even know Abramoff. They say he might have attended a couple of Christmas parties or something. They are of course trying desperately to distance the White House, and especially Bush, from this toxic lobbyist. It turns out, however, there are at least five photos of Bush with Abramoff, shaking his hand, and whatever. Remember, Bush didn't know Ken Lay either. How much longer are people going to put up with this absolutely blatant lying?

Under pressure from the public (I guess from the public as no one else seemed to be much concerned) the Pentagon has ordered 70 million dollars worth of body armor. Don't you think this is a little late? I mean it's never too late to try to help the troops but, really, after all this time they are just now ordering body armor? Rumsfeld is the most hopeless incompetent Secretary of Defense in history. He should have been fired years ago. I guess Bush/Cheney are waiting for him to destroy our military so completely it can never recover. Oh, I forget, things are going well in Iraq and Afghanistan. Silly me.

We are all learning now about the concept of the "unitary executive," otherwise known as the American Dictator. Alito is going to come on board the Supreme Court to insure that this will happen. The Democrats apparently don't care. A few of them say they will vote against his confirmation. But it is perfectly obvious that voting against him will amount to nothing. Apparently they will not filibuster, being afraid they might be accused of actually having some decency and interest in the well-being of the American public and democracy. I don't know about you, but I don't enjoy living in a one party theocracy. Be prepared to show your papers on demand.

On the local scene: The local Democractic fundraiser last night, in spite of very inclement weather, was a resounding success. More people turned out than ever before and a substantial amount of money was raised. I'm not certain these people were all Democrats but the ones that might not have been were surely Bush haters. I believe that even here in Idaho, the most Republican state in the Union, we may have a real chance at last to elect some Democrats. Vote Brady for Governor. Vote Grant for the House.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Just wanted to let you know that your blog is enjoyed every night. I have no one to vent to so it is great to have someone like you to put it all in words. The jokes and stories that you come up with are particularly appreciated. The news has been so bad lately that I think we are due one of your best jokes. Thanks!