Thursday, April 01, 2010

Yeah, so what?

Wife slips and falls in wet bathroom
after hitting drunken husband
in the face for missing the toilet.

A decline in the salmon and steelhead runs in the Snake River prompt a study by the Army Corps of Engineers into the feasibility of breaching some dams. This study, it is said, will cost 20 million dollars and take years to complete. Then, if breaching is recommended, it will be up to Congress to decide.
Question: Why bother?

Another yeah, so what, moment: A Federal Judge has determined that the Bush/Cheney unwarranted wiretapping was illegal. Most everyone knew it was illegal all along but I guess it is nice to have it confirmed legally. So now that it has been do you seriously believe anything will be done about it, that anyone will be held accountable? I don’t. Bush/Cheney committed other crimes far more egregious than illegal wiretapping and have not been held accountable, so why should this be any different? The fact is, our Attorney General and Justice Department simply do not function as they should. No one seems to care. I suggest this is not a good sign for the future of our nation.

Recently a 72 year-old woman was hit with a stun gun because she refused to sign a traffic ticket. A 10 year-old elementary student was hit with a stun gun because he was bothering other children. These are only two cases out of how many? I guess they are examples of our highly-trained and efficient police forces at work.

Has anyone given any serious consideration to what the effects of all the pharmaceutical advertising may be? It is perfectly obvious, for one thing the cost of all this advertising is adding substantially to the cost of drugs. I guess it is also a kind of boon for the legal profession as they no longer have to chase ambulances. Now they just advertise themselves in order to find people who may have suffered harm from different drugs and stuff, build a clientele and sue (think of all the time and gasoline they are saving). But what I’m really concerned about are hypochondriacs. Over the years I have had several (perhaps even many) hypochondriacal friends. Most of them could not read or even peruse medical dictionaries or similar books because if they did they would immediately worry they had whatever it was they were reading about. At least a couple of them were actually forbidden by their spouses or others from reading medical books. I have one of these friends right now. He calls me almost every week. I tell him to stay away from medical people, medical books, magazines, and television. This results in his telling me all his medical problems, in great detail. I’ve known him for years. I love him. I tell him, “Buddy, you’re nuts.” He knows he’s nuts but he can’t help it. So what are these poor unfortunates to do, not watch television? That doesn’t seem fair. But what are you to think if you suffer from this problem, when you not only hear about dozens upon dozens of different drugs you should ask your doctor about, but you also must listen to lists of the potential (and serious) side effects? Fortunately I do not suffer from this problem, but I confess that even I feel somewhat queasy when I have to listen to the potentially horrible side effects that might result from drugs that I don’t even need in the first place. Perhaps hypochondriacs should get together as a group, contact some of these eager lawyers, and sue the pharmaceuticals, on the grounds they are suffering grievous mental problems, loss of sleep, unnecessary worry, inability to enjoy television, and even loss of consortium. This is such a worthwhile and potentially lucrative idea I almost wish I was a hypochondriac.

LKBIQ:
Marriage, n. The state or condition of a community consisting of a master, a mistress and two slaves, making in all, two.
Ambrose Bierce

TILT:
Cats seem to have no ability to taste sugar.

No comments: