Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Silly Sarah, Idiot's Delight

Both Dalia Dippolito and
her hit man fail to
kill her new husband.

Silly Sarah, Idiot’s delight, seems to be a resounding success in Michigan on her book tour. I was amazed this morning when I saw the line of people waiting to buy her book, and get it autographed. I told myself that many of those people probably were not serious Palin supporters, but just wanted to buy a book for a friend or parent or whatever. But even subtracting some percentage for that, there still were a lot of people there, apparently many who had been in line since the night before. Bill Press on some show or other said people were really just lined up for a freak show, wanting to see the bearded lady. He also suggested she would make a lot of money and then just disappear as “this is a bus to nowhere.” I think he is right. Certainly I hope he is right. I felt a bit better when I saw an interview with a bookstore clerk in New York who said they had ordered eight copies, but he didn’t think they would sell.

In any case, this made me more aware than ever before that I apparently inhabit a totally different universe from many of my fellow citizens. There were a couple of brief interviews with those standing in line for this momentous event. One man said (seriously, I fear), Palin is more qualified to be President than either Obama or McCain. I thought that was stretching reality a bit far. A woman said she supported Palin because she was inspirational. That sort of went over my head as I couldn’t imagine very well what the hell she could possibly be talking about, opportunistic, no doubt, but inspirational? As near as I can tell Palin is both an empty head and an empty pantsuit (skirt?) who at best can produce a couple of Republican talking points, like reducing taxes, no health care, drill baby drill, and other Republican drivel.

Some think that Palin is using this book tour as an exploration for the possibility of running for President in 2012. Even I don’t think she can be that dumb (but of course I could be wrong, I often am). When someone mentioned the possibility of Glenn Beck as her Vice-Presidential candidate, and she didn’t immediately disavow it, I knew she wasn’t being serious. This is all just a show, just a way for Palin to make a lot of money quickly, enjoy her few moments of fame, and then laugh all the way to the bank. The MSM is going to make us suffer through it all until the bitter end.

It has been widely conceded that Palin was completely unqualified to be Vice-President (except for McCain who obviously does not want to admit he made an absolutely idiotic decision), so why would anyone think she would be qualified to be President? Interestingly, there apparently are a few such people. Of course these are mostly the same people who believe the earth is only 6000 years old, the earth is flat, and dinosaurs disappeared because our ancestors must have eaten them all. What I find so amazing about this, is that there are any people at all at the beginning of the 21st century that idiotic. I suppose I should stop watching Rachel Maddow so exclusively and add Fox, Limbaugh, Hannity, and others to my daily schedule, but I’ve tried that and it makes me sick to my stomach and gives me headaches. On the one hand I guess I should be happy to realize that there can’t be more than about 30% of the American public who are borderline (or not so borderline) insane, but on the other hand I find it unsettling (to say the least) that there are that many apparently brainless people.

I suspect that part of this absurd Idea that Silly Sarah could be President is a result of George W. Bush having been President. You know, if Bush, a borderline retarded man, could be President for eight years, why not Palin, or Wilbur, the talking pig, or Mr. Ed, or any ordinary jackass for that matter. The people who seem to think Palin could be President (with no qualifications to speak of, and dumb as a post), now have a President with brains, trying desperately to improve their lives, and they hate him. I mean they literally hate him (I suspect much of this has to do with the fact that he is half black).

And so, appropros of nothing, this leads me to health care. It seems the Senate has come up with a bill that looks like a real winner. It will include 31 million people not currently insured, it corrects some of the most egregious Insurance company crimes, and will substantially reduce the deficit over ten years. This bill is the result of a great deal of extremely hard work on the part of Congress and offers the greatest chance ever for health care reform. But, of course, there is some doubt it will ever make it to the floor as there are still three or four Senators who may not vote for it. In my mind this would be absolutely unconscionable. But, hey, it’s only 31 million people who would have to continue without health care, that can’t be very important, can it? If any Democrat blocks passage of this bill they should be tarred and feathered and run out of town on a rail. They could be like the man Lincoln mentioned who, when being treated in such a way, said “If it weren’t for the honor I would rather have walked.”

LKBIQ:
A man too busy to take care of his health is like a mechanic too busy to take care of his tools.
Spanish proverb

TILT:
U.S. President Calvin Coolidge had a window in his outhouse.

No comments: